lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-29-2014, 01:19 AM   #1
mcushway
Not Yet Wild

Default Hope someone can help!

I have a 96 DS with a 290 engine that is having issues running after it warms up. I run a youth t-ball and softball program and use this cart for dragging the diamonds between games. When I bought the cart (from person who previously ran league) he mentioned the fuel pump, and fuel filter had just been replaced. I added a second filter, so now there is one before and after the fuel pump. I really need to get this issue resolved as I have games going on every day of the week until the end of July.

My thoughts and observations; once the cart is warmed up it will turn over fine but no fire. After the problem starts I can get the cart to move if I pump the gas pedal, but then it might go 3 feet or 30 feet before cutting out again. Then I pump the pedal and the process starts all over again. When it happens the fuel filters are empty, but I read on these forums that is sometimes the norm. The cart is dusty so I thought it could be a warn out switch, but not sure what switch I would need to check.

Any help with this issue would be great.
mcushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-29-2014, 05:59 AM   #2
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Hope someone can help!

your starving it for fuel with the filters you have a low pressure pump , it should have only one filter also check the vacuum line going to the pump sometimes an over full crankcase can lead to oil climbing the hose cutting off the pulse to the fuel pump until the cart sits for a while and the oil drains back to the engine and then the process will start all over again and it would do that as you described maybe 3 ft maybe 30 ft also check the vent on the fuel pump itself you said you have it in a dust enviroment , sometime the diaphram vent to let the diaphram move back and forth can get plugged up with dirt and dust
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:06 AM   #3
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Nobuck beat me to it, but I'm gonna post it anyways...

In the center of the face of the fuel pump, you'll see a raised circle, that's the fuel pump diaphragm vent!
it needs to be clear of dust and debris, for the fuel pump to operate properly.
Take a used toothbrush, and brush away most of the dust and debris, you should now see the vent screen,
then lightly spray it with carb cleaner, brush, and spray again.

In moderate to extreme dusty conditions, the vent should be checked regularly!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:30 AM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's an image of that vent that the guys are talking about:

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:36 AM   #5
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

So when did CC start using two filters from the factory? My Grandpa's 01 or 03 (can't remember) DS has one before and after the pump, I'm about 99% sure they're factory equipment - even all the little squeeze clamps are the same.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 06:50 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

My 07 has 2 filters, and my buddies 94 had 2 filters, I always thought it was normal!
lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:25 AM   #7
XtremeGolfCarts
Gone Wild

Club Car

My 2001 Club car ds came with 1 fuel filter but I installed another for added protection and it runs great...
XtremeGolfCarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 07:38 AM   #8
PAPABEAR1
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I have 2 filters.
PAPABEAR1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #9
CCinGA
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

The service bulletin and all manuals show 2 filters..... Because of this, I was actually going to add a second one between the tank and pump. I have the one that leaves the pump already.

Should I add a second one or am I just asking to starve the motor?

I took the pump apart last wek and it was clean and free...so maybe I don't need it.

Advice??
CCinGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 AM   #10
mcushway
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the tips and suggestions guys. I will give them and try and reports my findings.
mcushway is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car