lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-10-2016, 11:33 AM   #1
rrhuehn
Not Yet Wild

Default 2010 YRDA 3 Clutch Solutions?

I have been doing some reading on the clutch issues with the g29 carts. Got one that the primary clutch just flops in and out by hand I assume this is long shot, secondary has a spring with one end sticking out about 3 inches.

I assume the primary should not be able to just slide in and out by hand, what is the best solution is there a good aftermarket clutch to install and how about the secondary or driven clutch, put a new spring on it or replace that with aftermarket? I read in one thread the factory primary clutches for the g29 are not rebuildable is that true?
rrhuehn is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-10-2016, 12:18 PM   #2
nota
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2010 YRDA 3 Clutch Solutions?

both clutches should have a spring controlling them

guessing your spring broke
nota is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:36 PM   #3
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Here are some links to websites that will give you good information on replacing the old Team primary and secondary clutches with newer styles. I am using the new style FBT clutches on my 2011 G29 YDRA cart. I had to change over to the J55 V-Belt which is shorter than the JW1 and is 1-1/4” wide compared to the JW1 that is longer and only 1-1/8” wide. Do not use the OEM J55 belt, instead get the Heavy Duty G-Force CVT Drive Belt made by Gates (24G3884) it is Kevlar reinforced. The primary drive clutches do not have a spring, and I replaced the secondary driven clutch spring with a GBoost Technology Yamaha Driven Spring DRYA14 for better low end torque. Glenn Erlandson who designed these clutches made the suggestion to me.

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...2-00-part.html JW8-G6202-22-00

http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...2-00-part.html JW8-G6201-22-00

http://www.gboosttechnology.com/Sear...?Search=drya14 DRYA14

I bought the secondary spring from GBoost, the Gates belt on Amazon, the secondary driven clutch from Boats.Net and the primary drive clutch came on the cart when I bought it. I have good torque and my top speed so far is 27mph for now as I am still working on jetting the carburetor and modifying the air box. Good Luck.

Robert
LimitedEdition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:46 PM   #4
rrhuehn
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by LimitedEdition View Post
Here are some links to websites that will give you good information on replacing the old Team primary and secondary clutches with newer styles. I am using the new style FBT clutches on my 2011 G29 YDRA cart. I had to change over to the J55 V-Belt which is shorter than the JW1 and is 1-1/4” wide compared to the JW1 that is longer and only 1-1/8” wide. Do not use the OEM J55 belt, instead get the Heavy Duty G-Force CVT Drive Belt made by Gates (24G3884) it is Kevlar reinforced. The primary drive clutches do not have a spring, and I replaced the secondary driven clutch spring with a GBoost Technology Yamaha Driven Spring DRYA14 for better low end torque. Glenn Erlandson who designed these clutches made the suggestion to me.
http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...2-00-part.html
http://www.2wheelpros.com/oem-parts/...2-00-part.html
http://www.gboosttechnology.com/Sear...?Search=drya14
I bought the secondary spring from GBoost, the Gates belt on Amazon, the secondary driven clutch from Boats.Net and the primary driven clutch came on the cart when I bought it. I have good torque and my to speed so far is 27mph for now as I am still working on jetting the carburetor and modifying the air box. Good Luck.

Robert
Thanks for that info I will check it out I appreciate it. One question though, primary clutches if they don't have a spring you should still not be able to slide it in and out by hand correct? It's still on the cart and I can easily push it together and pull back open with ease.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:10 PM   #5
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Both the old Team drive clutch and the new clutch do not use or need a spring. As the engine slows down the centrifugal force on the weights in the drive clutch lessen and relaxes the tension on the belt, allowing the sheaves to open and the belt drops to the bottom of the clutch. Because of the spring tension on the sheaves in the driven clutch it forces the sheaves together driving the belt to the top of the clutch.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:26 PM   #6
rrhuehn
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Both the old Team drive clutch and the new clutch do not use or need a spring. As the engine slows down the centrifugal force on the weights in the drive clutch lessen and relaxes the tension on the belt, allowing the sheaves to open and the belt drops to the bottom of the clutch. Because of the spring tension on the sheaves in the driven clutch it forces the sheaves together driving the belt to the top of the clutch.
ok just to be sure then you can actually slide the primary clutch open and closed by hand easily? There may not be anything wrong with the primary if that is the case, that is what I want to determine before I order a puller and take it off and replace it etc. Driven clutch definitely needs a new spring at the least or replaced but I am not 100% sure on the primary, it was driving and working before the belt blew and that is when I noticed the spring problem on the driven clutch and when I noticed the primary will slide in and out by hand. I never seen a primary clutch that you could move in and out by hand before like that.
Old 03-10-2016, 05:42 PM   #7
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

The drive clutch will move in and out freely as there is no spring to offer any resistance. If you have the Team clutches on your cart and believe that there is a problem with them, call Don Plowman at Plowman’s Carts (810) 736-110. http://www.plowmanscarts.com/parts.html
If you want to get more or better performance out of your cart this is the man that can do it for you. I removed the Team clutches and I am quite pleased with the new FBT setup. I believe Don can advise you on this also.
Robert
Old 03-10-2016, 05:44 PM   #8
rrhuehn
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
The drive clutch will move in and out freely as there is no spring to offer any resistance. If you have the Team clutches on your cart and believe that there is a problem with them, call Don Plowman at Plowman’s Carts (810) 736-110. http://www.plowmanscarts.com/parts.html
If you want to get more or better performance out of your cart this is the man that can do it for you. I removed the Team clutches and I am quite pleased with the new FBT setup. I believe Don can advise you on this also.
Robert
Great thanks again for all your help I really appreciate it!!!
Old 03-10-2016, 05:52 PM   #9
LimitedEdition
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sorry it took me so long to answer your basic question if it was OK for the drive clutch to move in and out freely LOL. By the way it is.
Robert
Old 03-10-2016, 06:03 PM   #10
rrhuehn
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Sorry it took me so long to answer your basic question if it was OK for the drive clutch to move in and out freely LOL. By the way it is.
Robert
That's ok I just wanted to verify that it was before ordering a puller and taking it off. If it works ok I will just leave it for now and decide down the road if I will switch out both clutch's or not. For now I have to put a spring in the driven clutch for sure so I will start there and see what happens. You answered my question and was very helpful and I do thank for that!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha