lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2016, 02:13 PM   #1
BigDS2004
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Very slow to start

This cart and I are about a 2 weeks into our Honeymoon. Since purchasing this 1993 DS I have discovered (with help here...thanks!) that it has a 97+ motor. It has been slow to start since purchasing it. I have replaced the carburetor, plug, air cleaner, oil change, drive clutch, starter/gen belt and main drive belt. I have had to re wire most of the cart. I have also had to do tires and rebuild the suspension upfront and in the rear. I have not had time up until this point to tackle the slow starting issue. When cold, it can take as long as 30 seconds before it begins to fire. It always seems to fire up quicker in reverse then it does in drive. Sometimes when it's warm I can take around 10 to 15 seconds to fireback up after stopping at a stop sign. I do not want to wire it so that it will idle. Any thoughts? Is this normal? If there is any additional information you need to help me with this just ask, I check this very frequently. Thanks in advance.
BigDS2004 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
BigDS2004
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Very slow to start

...also, I have verified the operation of the choke in the air box. Sometimes I have to use the choke even when warm to get it started.
Old 07-30-2016, 04:08 PM   #3
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

10-15 seconds to take off after stopping at a stop sign is not normal. You'll need to find out whether it's fuel or spark you're missing when it won't start. It sounds to me like you may not be getting enough fuel if choking it while warm helps it. An easy thing to try is to clean the brass filter on your fuel pump, right there on the gas tank. Get some carb or brake cleaner and shoot it up.

You may also want to take off and clean/replace your hoses, the hose that comes from the crankcase to the fuel pump can sometimes get crud in it over time and diminish the vacuum signal that your pump needs to get fuel to the carb.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2016, 04:11 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Here's the brass filter on my fuel pump, your pump shape may look slightly different but it will still have the filter on it.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2016, 12:26 PM   #5
BigDS2004
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Awesome, thanks! I have already replaced the fuel lines. I will be spraying that brass filter out momentarily.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:37 PM   #6
BigDS2004
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Maybe a little better after spraying out the filter. It is definitely fueling not spark. The pump looks pretty new. I wonder if it was replaced in an effort to fix the same problem.
Old 07-31-2016, 02:44 PM   #7
BigDS2004
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Something else I noticed, my fuel filter is laying across the top of my tank and never appears to have much fuel in it. I notice in most of the pictures I see, The filter is full and on the side of the tank.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (133.2 KB, 0 views)
Old 07-31-2016, 06:52 PM   #8
Chris15005
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDS2004 View Post
Something else I noticed, my fuel filter is laying across the top of my tank and never appears to have much fuel in it. I notice in most of the pictures I see, The filter is full and on the side of the tank.
Not a fan of those glass filters even on our pumps / equipment at work we don't use them. I run the 1/4" Napa plastic filters on my cart never had any issues with them. I'd replace all the lines and filters clean out the screen on your pump and check your pulse line for a leak that'll cause issues as well.
Chris15005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 06:04 PM   #9
BigDS2004
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks to everyone that's helping. I found a previous post here that talked about a similar problem and some carburetor adjustments that can be done. I did those and still no luck. All of the lines are new. I've cleaned the screen. I've even done the valve adjustment....set at .005. It does start better -not good- with no choke if I only depress the throttle enough to engage the starter.
Old 08-05-2016, 07:32 PM   #10
BigDS2004
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

OK, I finally have an answer. I hope this helps many people. The issue was caused by a spark plug. When I replaced it I had just gone to AutoZone and had them cross reference the plug that was in this unit and got a replacement autolite. I put the factory plug back in today and have been driving around flawlessly.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car