lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-28-2019, 10:07 AM   #1
mr1960
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 82 Yamaha G1

Hello all, this is my first post.
I've been reading a lot on this forum about G1 carts. Lots of great info!
How ever I haven't been able to find anything that describes the problem I am trying to identify. Thanks for any help from any one.

I'm looking to identify the source of a metallic clanking sound the engine makes. It is most prominent when slowing to a stop, but can be heard while cruising as well. Until recently I thought it was normal for this cart. But I had no other reference to compare it to. A little while ago another G1 joined up at the trailer park. So when I watched this other G1 drive by it was quiet as a purring kitten. That is when I needed to know what is causing this difference in sound.
I am used to 4 stroke cart sounds as I work at a golf course.
Oh I should add that when I bought this cart I didn't think the auto oiler was working so I mixed 100:1 in the fuel tank. That helped a bit.

So, is it engine or drive line noise?
mr1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-28-2019, 10:33 AM   #2
trentofdestiny
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 82 Yamaha G1

A video would help but I'm leaning toward engine noise because you mentioned the Oiler not working... :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
trentofdestiny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 02:18 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

It can be the engine or the primary clutch on the engine, being bolted on the crank the sound will go through both. However many times the clutch will change sounds as it shifts at different speeds.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:03 PM   #4
griffo002
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Take the large drive belt off then run it.....That will disengage the rear wheels/drive line.....See if that noise is in the motor then.
griffo002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2019, 04:13 PM   #5
cartpartsplusman
Getting Wild
Club Car

i have seen these engines have 1/8 inch up and down play on the big end rod bearing and still run good,it was my dads gi and tom and i took it apart and could not believeit,ran fine and was loud .the clutch noise is mosty at low speed watchthe rear sheave for wobbling they make noise also
cartpartsplusman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #6
mr1960
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

All good advice guys. Thanks. But I'm thinking that cartpartsplusman might just be right with the lower rod bearing. I discovered that tapping on the clutch housing with something plastic, like a bic lighter produced a similar sound. I'm thinking of removing the large center bolt from the clutch and pulling the center part and weights out. Then see if I can still test it.
mr1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha