lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-13-2009, 09:18 AM   #1
mortimer
Getting Wild

Default Govenor linkage

Ok, I posted this on a different forum with no help. So I will try here.
I have an "86 Club Car that I finally got the clutch off of. KF82 engine and it is ready to be disassembled for rebuild. The cylinder and piston is off but I have one question though reguarding a linkage that was attached near the top of the engine case. The service manual's exploded views show nothing there. Just a hole. This is on the case cover above the oil cap. Before I remove it I would like some info reguarding it. It appears to be a rod with a screwdriver slot in the end and a linkage arm attached. I see no adjustments of it in this manual but 2 pics that show it.
http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...ent=Image3.jpg
and
[/URL]http://s807.photobucket.com/albums/y...ent=Image2.jpg

I made the linkage red in the one pic.

After taking the case apart. The linkage connects to a small rod that goes inside the case cover and there is a flat on the end of that rod with 2 dimples in the flat. I see nothing inside connecting to this rod. It appears to be against the side of the cam gear. Yet there seems to be about an inch between it and the gear when together. I am assuming the gear may move toward it at higher rpm's. That's a guess. Yet I see no wear or scratches on the side of the gear. How I adjust this when putting back together is a mystery. Cannot find it in the book. If there is an o-ring around that rod, I'd like to replace it. I would imagine so or it would leak oil around that rod/linkage.

Any imput would be greatly appreciated.
mortimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-13-2009, 01:00 PM   #2
rdawg63
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Govenor linkage

I'm in the process of rebuilding my KF 82. I'm familiar with the assembly you are referencing. I went to a club car dealer and an independent dealer. Both denied having any idea what it was. It does appear to have interfaced with governor weights on the cam gear at some time in the past. Of course there are now no cam weights. The governor seems to have been relocated from an rpm governed type to a rod activated type located on the differential. If you look at illustrations of the cam gear there is a hint of an assembly that no longer exists.

I think the device is Club Cars version of the vestigial tail. evolution has passed it by and it has faded from their memory. I put mine back to gether and it runs as it should.

rdawg63
rdawg63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 05:31 PM   #3
crash12888
Gone Crazy

I'm only guessing but it could be a governor assy for the engine when it is used for other applications where the speed isn't governed by a transaxle but by true engine RPM.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
rdawg63
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I'm thinking you're right. Now if I could figure out why a dealer and an experienced mechanic did not have the answer.

Ray

Last edited by rdawg63; 11-13-2009 at 09:39 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 11-14-2009, 02:08 PM   #5
mortimer
Getting Wild

Here's the inside.
http://i807.photobucket.com/albums/y...t/P2100004.jpg
Old 11-14-2009, 08:23 PM   #6
rdawg63
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I don't think you have to worry about it. evidently it just is not applicable to this use of the engine.

Ray
Old 11-15-2009, 08:10 AM   #7
mortimer
Getting Wild

Thanks a ton! I'll let you know If I have any issues.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car