lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-26-2019, 08:01 PM   #1
arizonabuild
Not Yet Wild

Default 96 G16a short spark

Hello, just picked up an old G16 gasser. Hasn't been run in 5 years. At first it wanted to start and would run just for a second with a shot of carb spray. Cleaned the carb and replaced the spark plug and now it won't fire at all, even with the carb spray. When i pull the spark plug and ground it, it will get about a half second of spark then nothing. I unplugged the blue/black wire in front of the engine and it won't spark at all, Thinking its the coil? Any ideas?

Thanks!
arizonabuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-26-2019, 08:15 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: 96 G16a short spark

Hold the spark plug to ground like you would testing spark.

Connect one terminal of the coil to battery +

Use another test wire on the other coil terminal and quickly tap it to ground. The plug should spark every time you tap it.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:38 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Hold the spark plug to ground like you would testing spark.

Connect one terminal of the coil to battery +

Use another test wire on the other coil terminal and quickly tap it to ground. The plug should spark every time you tap it.
Nope, this coil is powered by the magnet in the flywheel. The 2 wires from the coil are 1-black-engine ground, 2-blue-coil deactivate. Any the the flywheel is spinning, the coil would like to make spark, it is deactivated by pulling the blue wire low to ground. Unplugging the 2 wire at the front prevents the coil from being deactivated.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #4
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Nope, this coil is powered by the magnet in the flywheel. The 2 wires from the coil are 1-black-engine ground, 2-blue-coil deactivate. Any the the flywheel is spinning, the coil would like to make spark, it is deactivated by pulling the blue wire low to ground. Unplugging the 2 wire at the front prevents the coil from being deactivated.
You're right. I forget the pickup and coil in a G16 are all one unit unlike the older carts. I retract my statement
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha