lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-28-2016, 08:43 PM   #1
ccocogo
Not Yet Wild

Default OBC reset on a 97 48v CC

Does anyone know how I should reset the OBC on a 97 48v CC? It has the black t-shaped controller, no run tow switch, rocker switch for forward/reverse?
ccocogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-28-2016, 09:49 PM   #2
tag50
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: OBC reset on a 97 48v CC

Have you checked the "Stickys" at the top of this section?

tag50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 10:52 AM   #3
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
black t-shaped controller
Same controller as mine - OBC reset is easy. Since you have no tow/run switch, just ensure the key is off. Then undo the main battery pack neg (-) cable and set it aside so its not touching anything metal.

Click the fwd/rev rocker switch to reverse (you may hear a decline-to-nothing buzzer, but sometimes not) - wait another 10 minutes...just to be sure - then put the rocker switch back in neutral.

Leaving the keyswitch OFF - reconnect the main negative cable again (there will be a very small spark as the controller/OBC re-energizes).

Then - when you turn the keyswitch ON - your (RED - or - ORANGE if it was changed) battery light will glow for about 5 seconds or so and then turn off; indicating the OBC has been re-set.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
ccocogo
Not Yet Wild

thx joesam, after that I plug charger in an it kicks the charger needle up to where it should be, but then about a quarter second it kicks back to 2 amp... bad obc?
Old 08-29-2016, 10:22 PM   #5
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'm not so sure I'd write off the obc just yet - but you are now at a bigger challenge. I see you have another thread running. In it you said....
Quote:
They changed the batteries from the 6 8v to 4 12v marine batteries
Thus we know that your current batteries are *extremely* unsuited to your cart (or any cart), and depending on their configuration (gel vs wet vs AGM etc) may be the source of the obc's reluctance. Hate to say it, but the only real way to know if the obc is bad is to ask it to charge a proper battery pack (which you don't have). It does sound like your charger is OK because it tries to work initially - but that's where the validity of your testing ends - since the batteries are not "speaking the language" of the obc.

How long have those marine cells been in there? They won't last very long in a cart (even if used just for golf). If they are a year old or so, I'd charge each of them separately with an auto charger and then try driving with a DVM monitoring the voltage on each one under load. You may find (don't blame me for being colorful...it's my late father's expression) the turd in the punch bowl is the battery pack.
Old 08-30-2016, 06:04 PM   #6
ccocogo
Not Yet Wild

The batteries were new in May. I told them it was a bad move, but ya. They were all charged individually when I got it. I ran it for a total of probably 5 hrs to run them down to see if the charger would kick up the amps. When I test them now, the one hooked into the main pos is only at 9.62, the center ones are at 11.66 and 11.72 and the one on main neg is at 11.27. Is that common or should they all be about equal?
Old 08-30-2016, 06:39 PM   #7
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

I know lots of forum members swear by the OBC reset, but I've never had any luck with it. It might work temporarily, but I've never been able to restore a bad OBC to perfect working order by rebooting it.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 08:31 PM   #8
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Tahoe - he's not trying to fix a "known-bad" obc, he's trying to charge 4 month old 12v marine batteries and the obc keeps "objecting by dropping amps" (and based on the voltages he's seeing; it looks like one of those batteries has a dead or shorted cell). Ccocogo - 9.67 volts looks very bad for a 12v battery. YES, they are all supposed to be very close to the same voltage (at least within 1/4 volt). To confirm the biggest problem you have, charge them individually - then measure them individually while driving up a steep hill. I think you'll see the biggest problem (for the moment) is that battery - but don't replace it with a similar one. Similar problems will occur with that battery type, over and over.

If they happen to be AGM type batteries, even a new obc would always undercharge them, because AGM's require a much higher finish voltage than golf cart wet cells.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car