lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-18-2017, 06:43 AM   #1
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default RXV Motor Brake Club

Well, I joined the failed RXV Motor brake club Saturday night at Fort Wilderness at Disney. Riding back from the dock to the campsite, it just stopped in the road. Nice burning smell and brake was incredibly hot to the touch. I was able to limp it the last 1/4 mile by letting it cool a bit then moving about 50 feet then cool again. Thanks to the forum, I knew exactly what was going on and how to fix it. $286.00 later for the part at the local EZGO dealer on Monday and I'm back on the road. Man, those screws are a bear to line up. I was able to get 1, but the other 2 just wouldn't line up (the were off by less than a 32nd). I finally pulled the brake off the shaft, started all three screws then put it back on the motor shaft. Followed all the other instructions posted here by CGTech. Thanks again for a great forum with extremely helpful members!!
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-18-2017, 09:01 AM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: RXV Motor Brake Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by jneubig View Post
Well, I joined the failed RXV Motor brake club Saturday night at Fort Wilderness at Disney. Riding back from the dock to the campsite, it just stopped in the road. Nice burning smell and brake was incredibly hot to the touch. I was able to limp it the last 1/4 mile by letting it cool a bit then moving about 50 feet then cool again. Thanks to the forum, I knew exactly what was going on and how to fix it. $286.00 later for the part at the local EZGO dealer on Monday and I'm back on the road. Man, those screws are a bear to line up. I was able to get 1, but the other 2 just wouldn't line up (the were off by less than a 32nd). I finally pulled the brake off the shaft, started all three screws then put it back on the motor shaft. Followed all the other instructions posted here by CGTech. Thanks again for a great forum with extremely helpful members!!
I'm glad you were able to get r fixed.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:12 AM   #3
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Do you have a link to the post where you got your info for this? I'm having the same issue you're having and it's being a bear on me trying to get it to work right. I got the cart working right then rode it a very good ways and started smelling a burning smell and now the cart jerks for a second when the key is turned to forward or reverse and will not move and the buzzer is beeping twice intermittently like its throwing some sort of warning code. I'm not exactly sure what the proper brake lever position is for this thing either. RXV's are my LEAST favorite golf cart out there. Any help would be appreciated..thanks!
twilliams81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:28 AM   #4
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by twilliams81 View Post
Do you have a link to the post where you got your info for this? I'm having the same issue you're having and it's being a bear on me trying to get it to work right. I got the cart working right then rode it a very good ways and started smelling a burning smell and now the cart jerks for a second when the key is turned to forward or reverse and will not move and the buzzer is beeping twice intermittently like its throwing some sort of warning code. I'm not exactly sure what the proper brake lever position is for this thing either. RXV's are my LEAST favorite golf cart out there. Any help would be appreciated..thanks!
That is one classic sign of a motor brake failure. It is failing to stop the motor from turning during the motor brake twist test. It is time for a new motor brake. The new ones do not have a lever, those were used in 2008 RXVs. Check eBay, but beware, there are chinese knockoffs that do not work so well.

Bob
Old 04-18-2017, 10:36 AM   #5
twilliams81
Gone Wild

I replaced the brake with another one I had and it cleared the problem up but I'm afraid to drive it again for fear of cooking this one...What things do I need to make sure of before I go hopping on it for another long ride? I still am not sure of the proper lever position for this thing. Any suggestions? Still not sure what genius decided that the only brake on the cart should be an electronic one on the motor! SMH
Old 04-18-2017, 10:53 AM   #6
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I replaced the brake with another one I had and it cleared the problem up but I'm afraid to drive it again for fear of cooking this one...What things do I need to make sure of before I go hopping on it for another long ride? I still am not sure of the proper lever position for this thing. Any suggestions? Still not sure what genius decided that the only brake on the cart should be an electronic one on the motor! SMH
There is no physical brake really. The motor brake is a parking brake only, and is not supposed to engage while the cart is in motion. The RXV braking is via regenerative braking, turning the motor into a generator that pushes charge back into the batteries while slowing the cart. Those old lever actuated motor brakes were a poor design, which is why they were replaced with the newer style motor brake.
Old 04-19-2017, 07:50 AM   #7
jneubig
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This is the thread I followed:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ke-torque.html
jneubig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 05:50 PM   #8
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Thanks buddy you guys really helped! I put another brake on it and it cleared it up right away. I told the guy if it were me I'd sell that POS as fast as he could and before the hour was up I saw it listed on Craigslist! That was the last RXV I'll ever work on I can't believe EZGO thought those were a good idea of a golf cart..SMH. Anyway..thanks again for all the great advice this Forum is worth it's weight in gold!
Old 04-21-2017, 07:57 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Thanks buddy you guys really helped! I put another brake on it and it cleared it up right away. I told the guy if it were me I'd sell that POS as fast as he could and before the hour was up I saw it listed on Craigslist! That was the last RXV I'll ever work on I can't believe EZGO thought those were a good idea of a golf cart..SMH. Anyway..thanks again for all the great advice this Forum is worth it's weight in gold!
Yep, back to 3 speed on the column, no a/c, heater optional, bias ply tires, drum brakes, what's a V8. Eww, change!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2017, 09:02 AM   #10
twilliams81
Gone Wild

Ahhh the good old days! You hit it on the head man! lol
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO