lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-06-2017, 04:21 PM   #1
~Klinger~
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Battery - Lifespan

Hi Guys,
I am new to the boards and have been reading a lot about batteries, maintenance, charging, etc., but I have a question that is a little different. I have recently been given a 2002 EZGO TXT Freedom. My folks bought it new and drove it for about a year before parking it in their garage. It has sat there for the last 14 years. The batteries were "renewed" by a guy near them before sending to me. My question is this. I am certain the batteries were completely dead for at least 10+ years as it was never on the charger since being parked. When going up even slight slopes I can feel the cart really slowing down. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on renewing 14 year old batteries. They are Trojan T-105s. I have not had the chance to hook up a voltage meter to them yet. Just my gut feeling is they may have some charge but the age and time spent discharged/unmaintained has left them less then 100%. Any feedback thoughts or input is appreciated. Based on age alone should I just buy new ones?
~Klinger~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-06-2017, 04:25 PM   #2
Ozzysgolfcarts
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Battery - Lifespan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Klinger~ View Post
Hi Guys,
I am new to the boards and have been reading a lot about batteries, maintenance, charging, etc., but I have a question that is a little different. I have recently been given a 2002 EZGO TXT Freedom. My folks bought it new and drove it for about a year before parking it in their garage. It has sat there for the last 14 years. The batteries were "renewed" by a guy near them before sending to me. My question is this. I am certain the batteries were completely dead for at least 10+ years as it was never on the charger since being parked. When going up even slight slopes I can feel the cart really slowing down. I was wondering if anyone has any insight on renewing 14 year old batteries. They are Trojan T-105s. I have not had the chance to hook up a voltage meter to them yet. Just my gut feeling is they may have some charge but the age and time spent discharged/unmaintained has left them less then 100%. Any feedback thoughts or input is appreciated. Based on age alone should I just buy new ones?
But new ones. We sell Trojans for $100 each plus core

Sent from my VS880PP using Tapatalk
Ozzysgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 05:57 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Look on the battery posts for date codes stamped in. For example "B2" would indicate they are February 2012 -OR- 2002. The 2012 Trojans have slight differences (and more lead warning stickers) that would distinguish them from 2002 batteries. If you find that your batteries are truly from 2002, and sat dead for years, they are pretty hopeless for real usability improvement above where they are.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

For 6v batteries 5 years is the average useful life if used and maintained properly. It's a miracle of science that your batteries move the cart. They are certainly compromised from the years of neglect. It's time to start shopping locally for batteries. Remember batteries come in various sizes and quality. Get the biggest name and CAPACITY (amp hours) you can afford.
Welcome to BGW and GL with the new cart
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2017, 08:35 PM   #5
~Klinger~
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. I assumed I would need to buy new ones. Time to start shopping.
Old 05-06-2017, 09:03 PM   #6
~Klinger~
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Oh, and I did confirm the posts are stamped B2 just like your example. But the 2 was 2002. They were new with the cart and never replaced. The guy that did the "renewal" just added water and got a charge on them. Is there a market for vintage batteries? I figure if I hold onto them another 10 years they'll be antiques.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:27 AM   #7
agpfl
Wild Gone

E-Z-GO

The cores are worth about $25 each, but are sometimes required by the person selling you the new set.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk
agpfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 06:38 AM   #8
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

I have not seen this discussed before, but I see this stuff all over the internet and Ebay. Is there any chance that this stuff might actually work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REFURBISH-Fi...nbrmnVrRRLrZdQ
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:16 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I have not seen this discussed before, but I see this stuff all over the internet and Ebay. Is there any chance that this stuff might actually work?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/REFURBISH-Fi...nbrmnVrRRLrZdQ
No.
If this stuff worked that's all this site would be about.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 08:19 AM   #10
Rickochet
Card Carrying Old Fart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
No.
If this stuff worked that's all this site would be about.
That makes sense, but has anyone actually tried this?
Rickochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO