lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-15-2017, 09:40 PM   #1
bizle
Getting Wild

Default Rxv guys would you do it again?

I am looking to buy a golf cart to run around my Campground and to use on the back roads.
I have owned Yamaha gas carts in the past but I am considering going Electric for a change.

How do you guys like your EZGO RXV electric carts?
How many miles do you roughly get on a full charge?
What's involved in turning them into Freedom mode 19mph?
If I purchase one high speed gears is a must....
bizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-15-2017, 11:08 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Rxv guys would you do it again?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizle View Post
I am looking to buy a golf cart to run around my Campground and to use on the back roads.
I have owned Yamaha gas carts in the past but I am considering going Electric for a change.

How do you guys like your EZGO RXV electric carts?
How many miles do you roughly get on a full charge?
What's involved in turning them into Freedom mode 19mph?
If I purchase one high speed gears is a must....
In my case, I did do it again. I totaled my 2012 RXV, then used parts and the batteries from the wreck to resurrect a 2008 RXV Shuttle 2+2 flood cart from west of New Orleans, LA.

The batteries are the original 2012 batteries that had seen better days. I can tell they were not well cared for, but they are still too good to replace. I used to put 15-20 miles on the 2012 and still have over 50% on the in-dash SOC guage. Then I reprogrammed it for 28-29 MPH, and that really sucked down the batteries a lot quicker. I reprogrammed it for 25 MPH and was satisfied with the battery life. It reduced my range to 10-15 miles before getting down close to 50% SOC indicated.

I do not recommend going overboard on tire size or high speed gears. The reasons are multiple. The RXV is not your typical golf cart. It is AC drive, and the only service brake that it has is regenerative braking from the motor itself. The parking brake is exactly that, only used for parking. The gearing of the rear axle is designed to make best use of motor torque for accelleration, and for braking. The torque of the motor is not high enough to pull too large of a tire or too much of a gear. You'll actually lose top end and hill climb capability unless you really want to spend the bucks on a 350 Amp upgrade controller, then have someone program it for you to get full performance. Even then, you would still be limited on tire size to just a couple of inches larger before it would impact torque. I had the 350 Amp upgrade controller on my 2012 RXV. I went back to my stock 235 Amp controller. With stock tires, I could pull nearly the same speed with the stock controller as I could with the 350 Amp controller. About 1 MPH difference is all.

I did not use Freedom mode back then, I used advanced programming only. If you use the passkey to set Freedom mode, it sets then locks some of the advanced parameters that can be used to tweak your accell/torque/regen/braking. I can now program Freedom mode without locking parameters. But Freedom mode is really not required.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:02 AM   #3
sltintexas
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

the only issue i have had is with charging. I don't know if it is my charger or my cart, but I bought a different style charger and have had no issues.

As for the cart, out of all the carts in the hood, RXVs are the strongest and fastest. I go off road often and never have a power issue except if I am going over bigger logs. Sometimes I have to remind myself I'm in a golf cart, not an ATV.

I'd do it again. Mine is reprogrammed, which i don't really know what all that means but mine will do 26mph. I have it lifted and bigger tires. honestly going 26 in a golf cart can get a little squirrelly, especially if you have some larger fellows on back. I wouldn't want to go faster. I even have the dreaded pre 2012 model and I'm still OK.

I've ton 10 miles in my cart easily. After that, I don't want to be on a cart anymore so that is as far as I"ve gone. And I have old batteries.
sltintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 06:43 AM   #4
basshawk84
Gone Wild
Club Car

The short answer is a definite YES. I have a lifted 2010 RXV with 23" tires. I had it programmed by the dealer and it runs 26mph, pulls the hills great and handles great.
basshawk84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:54 AM   #5
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Would do it again.
But probably wouldn't mess with a lift again. I've gone down this lift worm-hole ... Should have just put the largest tires on it that would fit in standard height and left well enough alone.

I've got 6- 8v Ranger 160's, so I get 20+ road miles out of a charge easily.
Definitely wouldn't lift the cart if you're interested in breaking the 20mph range...I can do about 19 with a 6" lift.
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:30 PM   #6
sltintexas
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougs_huntingcart View Post
Would do it again.
But probably wouldn't mess with a lift again. I've gone down this lift worm-hole ... Should have just put the largest tires on it that would fit in standard height and left well enough alone.

I've got 6- 8v Ranger 160's, so I get 20+ road miles out of a charge easily.
Definitely wouldn't lift the cart if you're interested in breaking the 20mph range...I can do about 19 with a 6" lift.
Is the one in your pic the one you are referencing? is it lifted or not?
sltintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 12:48 PM   #7
dougs_huntingcart
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sltintexas View Post
Is the one in your pic the one you are referencing? is it lifted or not?
Yes. That is my cart. Currently has a Jake's long travel lift w/ 12" wheels.
dougs_huntingcart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 02:38 PM   #8
bizle
Getting Wild

Well guys I ended up buying a Yamaha G29 gas but I am still considering a EZGO RXV electric for my wife to run around the campground.
bizle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:49 AM   #9
Isaac-1
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Overall I would say that the RXV is a great electric cart with a few provisions,

1, you don't want to go too fast, anything over 22-23 mph (highest speed with 19.5 freedom mode and oversized tires on non-lifted cart) on an RXV I feel borders reckless driving, this is mainly due to the independent front suspension which makes for a smooth ride, but also allows excess body roll.

2, you respect that it is a computer controlled vehicle that uses digital inputs and position sensors, don't go poking around in the wiring like you might do on a traditional golf cart, or else you will be buying a new $1,000 controller.
Isaac-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:52 AM   #10
jmauld
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac-1 View Post
Overall I would say that the RXV is a great electric cart with a few provisions,

1, you don't want to go too fast, anything over 22-23 mph (highest speed with 19.5 freedom mode and oversized tires on non-lifted cart) on an RXV I feel borders reckless driving, this is mainly due to the independent front suspension which makes for a smooth ride, but also allows excess body roll.

2, you respect that it is a computer controlled vehicle that uses digital inputs and position sensors, don't go poking around in the wiring like you might do on a traditional golf cart, or else you will be buying a new $1,000 controller.
Ever consider installing a swaybar to reduce the body roll? It doesn't look like it would be difficult to do. Particularly on the rear of the cart.
jmauld is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO