lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
curtbrown56
Not Yet Wild

Default Cart dies going up hill

My mid 90's EzGo cart will not go up hills of any vertical change. Batteries have been tested with no problems noted. On level ground cart seems fine. When trying to go uphill, cart will slow and come to a stop with pedal on floor. If you release pedal and then just barely push it, you can get cart to slowly go up the hill. You have to modulate the accelerator pedal with the best movement occurring with the pedal barely pushed. Once the cart is on level ground, the cart acts normal again. Thanks for your help!!
curtbrown56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-30-2017, 06:03 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart dies going up hill

Bad batteries.
Put a voltmeter on the pack and see what the voltage is at full throttle when the cart won't go and what it is when you just barely push the pedal and the cart goes slowly.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 06:09 PM   #3
curtbrown56
Not Yet Wild

Each battery was load checked individually and passed. I will Check voltage as you recommend. Thanks
Old 07-30-2017, 06:31 PM   #4
curtbrown56
Not Yet Wild

Just checked voltage as you recommended. Started out with approximately 42 volts. After a little driving, tried the hill. The voltage dropped to approximately 32 volts and the cart slowed and would not go up hill at full open throttle. Seems that means I have a bad battery and probably should check each battery voltage under the loaded conditions.
Old 07-30-2017, 08:53 PM   #5
mikec557
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Bad batteries.
Put a voltmeter on the pack and see what the voltage is at full throttle when the cart won't go and what it is when you just barely push the pedal and the cart goes slowly.
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but it is sort of related.

This may be obvious to everyone but me... but how to you get the leads of the dvm to stay attached to the battery posts to get a reading while under load, ie, while you are moving? Alligator clamps? If you made something, would you mind posting a picture of it.

Thanks
Mike
mikec557 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

You could wrap them in electrical tape.
ARKSoft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 09:49 PM   #7
curtbrown56
Not Yet Wild

Just used some little alligator clips.
Old 07-31-2017, 03:36 AM   #8
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Hmm. Mid 90s Ezgo with 42v... What is this thing? Details like battery model, number of batteries.. We need some more info, something is missing. Sounds like how I (intentionally) killed my marathon controller by installing 6x 8v to see how it would go. It ran great for a few weeks, then couldn't climb a 1" sidewalk, but could get up to speed if given 2 blocks of flat ground.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:06 AM   #9
Dsiekman
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikec557 View Post
I don't mean to hi-jack this thread, but it is sort of related.

This may be obvious to everyone but me... but how to you get the leads of the dvm to stay attached to the battery posts to get a reading while under load, ie, while you are moving? Alligator clamps? If you made something, would you mind posting a picture of it.

Thanks
Mike
I would probably take both suggestions below. Alligator clips and electrical tape. The last thing you want is anything metal bouncing around on top of your batteries.
Dsiekman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 08:29 AM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Fortunately, most DMM probes aren't long enough to short anything on the batteries, but if you use alligator jumpers, they definitely could. Both of my DMMs have alligator clips that slide over the leads. They can be found in many Home Depot, Lowes, and maybe Ace.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO