lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2017, 11:59 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZ GO Not Moving But Motor Spins

Good job. I gotta say you sound a lot happier to find this problem than I was
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-06-2023, 04:11 PM   #12
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

It's time for me to drag up this thread, thank scottyb, and tell my story.

I bought an early nineties Marathon. All I knew about it was that it didn't run. The seller had a lot of stories that made no sense, so I just ignored him. My plan was to upgrade all of the electronics thinking they were fried. I did notice that it pushed way too easy while loading it. I got it home to a quiet basement and started playing around. That's when I noticed that I could hear the motor spinning. I started thinking holy crap, it's got a stripped hub. Sure enough it did have a stripped hub, but it still didn't move. It was jacked up. The wheels would start to turn, but I could easily stop them. I could still hear that spinning. I pulled the axles, checked the splines, and ran a borescope up the axle tubes. Nothing. Everything looked great. I could still hear the motor spinning.

I pulled the motor. It was stuck to the input shaft so tight that the commutator came out of the motor. I'm thinking how could it possibly be slipping there? I put it back together. I then pulled the cover off the rearend and had the wife step on the pedal. I could see that the input shaft wasn't turning, but could still hear the motor.

I convinced myself that the splined coupling had to be slipping on the commutator shaft.
I slept on it and figured it was time to do some welding. I researched a little to see how common that was when I ran across this thread.

The whole time I'm thinking you have got to be kidding me. Something that simple. I knew it needed batteries, but didn't think it would cause it to act up like that.
Here we are today with a new set of batteries, the wheels scream right along, and I know more about the electric rear end than I will ever need to know. It was a true learning experience. Thanks to scottyb and everyone else in this thread.
cart around is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2023, 02:19 AM   #13
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

I'm late to this party, but check BOTH sides. I could have sworn the spinning hub was on one side of my TXT when it was the other side.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2024, 07:42 PM   #14
SteveO90290
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

1984 EZGO electric here.

Newish batteries (2022) Cart doesn't move, but I hear the motor spin. There was a bang and some grinding after shifting from reverse to forward.

Is there a keyway that I may have snapped? Where would I look for info on the input shaft or hubs.

This cart has had a HARD life. It has been a movie studio workhorse for its whole life. I have put a lot into it over the past few years and don't want to give up on it

I am pretty mechanically inclined, but never got into differentials before.

TIA
SteveO
SteveO90290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 07:02 AM   #15
Doubles Shooter
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Pull a wheel and check the hubs. Start at the cheap easy fixes first.
Doubles Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2024, 09:57 AM   #16
SteveO90290
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the suggestion Shooter.

Just checked, sadly the hub nuts are not spinning.
Old 02-28-2024, 07:18 PM   #17
SteveO90290
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Well it ended up being a broken axle shaft on the passenger side. Glad the Spyder gears were not messed up.

Sadly nobody seems to stock the 20.75" drive shaft, so I am having the metal shop at work modify a longer one to fit. If anyone has an old ezgo 20.75" long axle with hanging around, I'll buy it just incase the welded one doesn't last.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO