lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
ritchie106
Not Yet Wild

Default 2002 txt

My batteries are all 6 volt. One reads 5.8, all the others read 7.8. When I test across the two main batteries I get 42.9. What's going on?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
ritchie106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2017, 11:33 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2002 txt

My guess is that you have a battery with a shorted cell, so the remaining 17 cells are being charged to a higher than normal voltage.

Let the batteries rest for about 12 hours after the charger shuts off and check the voltages again.

The good batteries ought to read about 6.37V and the bad one will read about 4.3V.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:36 AM   #3
bird6246
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

are you sure they are 6 volt, how many cap holes are there. Not being condescending, just wanna make sure we got the right info. That is extremely high for a 6 volt. According to the info {assuming u have 6 batteries} then you should be at 44.8? with the numbers you gave. How do your cables look are any "loose" when you wiggle them? are they wire correctly in series?
bird6246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 12:30 PM   #4
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird6246 View Post
are you sure they are 6 volt, how many cap holes are there. Not being condescending, just wanna make sure we got the right info. That is extremely high for a 6 volt. According to the info {assuming u have 6 batteries} then you should be at 44.8? with the numbers you gave. How do your cables look are any "loose" when you wiggle them? are they wire correctly in series?
Depending on the make/model of batteries and the make/model of the charger, the on-charge voltage of a 6V battery can get close to 8.4V before the charger shuts off.

I suspect he is making his readings shortly after the charger shut off, so he is reading a surface charge. If he lets the batteries sit for a few hours, the voltages will very likely be down in the expected range.

The red flag is that one battery has a voltage that is roughly 2/3 of the voltage on the other batteries, indicating a bad cell.

Of course, I might be wrong.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post

Of course, I might be wrong.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO