lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-29-2017, 08:16 PM   #1
sblakley31
Not Yet Wild

Default Irma storm surge swamps golf cart

What steps should I take to restart my 1998 cart that was submerged to 3 feet in saltwater?
I have read that I could wash the motor in fresh water and then douse it with WD-40. Any thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
sblakley31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-29-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
crash test dummy

Default Re: Irma storm surge swamps golf cart

replace batteries
power wash everything
the frame is steel
wd is a good idea
Old 09-29-2017, 08:42 PM   #3
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Welcome to BGW. If it was mine I would change the differential fluid. Pull the motor and clean/check/replace anything that may need it.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2017, 11:40 PM   #4
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have yet to see a flooded cart where the controller isn’t toast... hope yours is ok. I got a Club Car out of Matthew’s flood and the controller and solenoid were bad, but the batteries did perfectly fine. I’m still using them!

Club Car DS Driver’s Club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 07:52 AM   #5
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by crash test dummy View Post
wd is a good idea
As a former megayacht captain, I totally disagree with that one!!!

WD-40 makes everything to rust, including marine grade stainless steel. The only thing it can be useful is to un-grip a part but once done, we were washing and apply something else, depending of the part.
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #6
AZ.
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
As a former megayacht captain, I totally disagree with that one!!!

WD-40 makes everything to rust, including marine grade stainless steel. The only thing it can be useful is to un-grip a part but once done, we were washing and apply something else, depending of the part.
I have never heard of this.....Im not a huge fan of wd40 as I feel there are better things....But I dont see anything in it that would make things rust? and SS with nickle in it or not?....But Im willing to listen and learn.
AZ. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:08 AM   #7
teecro
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ. View Post
I have never heard of this.....Im not a huge fan of wd40 as I feel there are better things....But I dont see anything in it that would make things rust? and SS with nickle in it or not?....But Im willing to listen and learn.
WD40 is a better water dispersant than it is a lubricant, the light-end petroleum solvent agent in WD that helps it displace water and penetrate frozen fasteners evaporates quickly and in the end if NOT reapplied regularly or protected with a non-drying oily film can leave metal open and vulnerable to being attacked.

I've also heard many anecdotes about not using WD to care for your guns as it will allow the blued surface to rust and the lock works to gum up etc... And for only one reason this is true is that you did not re-apply frequently enough. When I lived down south in LA I met a true old bayou man and one day I was admiring a very old shotgun of his and while the finish was very dark and the bluing was all but worn away it did not have a speck of rust on it. Old man Leroy said son that gun comes out in the boat every day but every night I wipes it down with a rag and some WD...
teecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:45 AM   #8
slashpine
Getting Wild

There are other products available to target salt...for instance:
http://saltx.com/saltx_uses_for-fisherman.htm

I like a product called "fluid film" but it does not displace moisture as well as WD40...
http://www.fluid-film.com/
slashpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 12:42 PM   #9
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Been using WD for decades. Never heard of, or seen it cause rust. Not as good as some other products for loosening fasteners, but if I want to leave a lubricating film on something it is what I use.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 01:31 PM   #10
rib33024

When a cart gets flooded the frame tubes fill up with water, in your case, Salt water, and it sits in the frame and rust the frame out. You need to stand the frame up on it's end, and let the water run out
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO