lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-30-2017, 02:44 PM   #1
Homey244
Not Yet Wild

Default Let me axe a question about brushes and such

My cart had a loose lug on the motor when I bought it. The wire had been loose and the cable had welded itself to the lug. Luckily it was on one of the brush lugs and I'm going to replace it . my question is there seems to be some Coating missing from the piece where the brushes touch on the coil thingy, there is also grooves on the brushes (see pics) i believe this happened because the insulator broke apart inside the motor probably after getting hot and there was some debris inside. Question is when I put new brushes on is it going to affect the performance of the golf cart. Is this a major problem? I liken this to putting new brake pads on bad rotors. Thoughts?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Homey244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-30-2017, 04:40 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Let me axe a question about brushes and such

I used to repair, rebuild, and rewind, electric motors. I've seen commutators in a lot worst condition than that. You can clean the contacts by wrapping some 240 grit sandpaper around it and grip it with one hand while you rotate the armature back and forth with the other. The idea is to just clean the oxides from the surfaces of the contacts and brighten them up. Blow the slots between the contacts clear with compressed air. The brushes will reseat to the newly cleaned commutator surfaces as they are softer than the commutator. They may arc a bit more until fully reseated.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 08:07 PM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

AND if you do it yourself.....ENSURE you do NOT use emery paper.....you need to use Garnet Paper.....its easy to find, and typically you can find it in any hardware store. and normally the paper is a reddish orange in color.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2017, 10:35 PM   #4
Homey244
Not Yet Wild

Thank you for the responses. Glad to know that is not a bad armiture.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
Homey244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO