lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2012, 12:12 PM   #1
mbeal
Not Yet Wild

Default burn up voltage reducer

i have a 48v reducer to 12v 25 amp all three have made noise and popped when i mash the pedal down and i never had this problem before the old one was about 3 years old before it burn up and now i have put 3 on with the same results not sure if it is possiable to get three bad ones are not i have checked all wires and everthing works fine with 12v battery
mbeal is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2012, 12:33 PM   #2
OutCole'd
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: burn up voltage reducer

Is it possible to have three bad voltage reducers? Sure, but not likely. I'd guess a wiring problem, shorted maybe?
OutCole'd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 01:24 PM   #3
mbeal
Not Yet Wild

I have checked everthing and everthing looked fine and i put a 12v battery in and everthing works like it should. The biggest problem i had was it did send a surge with one of them blowed both headlights and popped a fuse on my radio. When i mash the pedal i was getting noise coming from my controller. i unhooked it and the noise quit. All of volts the last one was putting out was 6 volts. The cart place i got it from said they got one bad right out of the box. could somthing be back feeding from controller
Old 05-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #4
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

where are you mounting it? how are you wiring it?............................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 04:44 PM   #5
mbeal
Not Yet Wild

it is mounted behind the seat where the controller is located and i have a 6 gauage wire feeding it B- going to my main - and b+ going to my main - it has been in this location for over a couple years with no problem i had 50 volts going in and 12 coming out for about 5 mins and then it popped my radio fuse and then was only puting out 6 volts i don't understand this because i have never had this problem because it is wired right
Old 05-07-2012, 07:19 PM   #6
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

its really odd for 3 of them to go bad were they all the same type of unit?...........................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:35 PM   #7
mbeal
Not Yet Wild

yes they were all the same type and i thought mabe i got a hold of a bad run of units guy a cart shop said maybe i was pulling to many amps with my set up and i do not think that is the case it is a series car with a pq purple motor and a alltrax 300 axe controller 4ga wires heavy duty f/r and solenoid i am not sure what is going on but i am clueless never run across this problem
Old 05-07-2012, 10:08 PM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbeal View Post
yes they were all the same type and i thought mabe i got a hold of a bad run of units guy a cart shop said maybe i was pulling to many amps with my set up and i do not think that is the case it is a series car with a pq purple motor and a alltrax 300 axe controller 4ga wires heavy duty f/r and solenoid i am not sure what is going on but i am clueless never run across this problem
The amps he was talking about are across the converter, not the drive system. One thing to try with the next one is to wire it up with no draw. Then, add one 12v item at a time and test it out. Sound like something is drawing too much current.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 10:17 PM   #9
89GatorClub
Gone Wild

Club Car

What all are you trying to run because 25 amps is alot of power for accessories? If I where a guessing man I would do what Gornoman suggested, because it sounds as if one of your accessories may have took a dump and killing your reducer. Do you have fuses for each accessory?
The only difference is I would test each by themselves. IE test radio....test good....unhook it and test next piece by itself.
89GatorClub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #10
mbeal
Not Yet Wild

I unhooked my main - and + going to the controller so i would not pick up a load from everthing and then i hooked them in.I have a radio that is fused and headlights and taillights that run off ruducer.I also have a winch powered by the ruducer with nothing on when you mash the pedal my controller makes noise.I installed a 12v battery and hooked it up and everthing works fine.My headlights and tailights are on a fuse block no problem has been found.I could use the 12v battery but i am still uneasy at the fact i have lost all of this reducers
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car