lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2012, 12:33 AM   #1
MxChris
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Buying my first cart, a couple questions.

I've found a good deal (for Florida prices) on a 92 Club Car, I'm going to go check it out and buy it this week if everything looks good.

Is there anything in particular I should be looking for when looking it over to make sure there are no major headaches looming? What are you guys looking at when picking up a used cart?

Since batteries are the biggest expense is there a way to check them to make sure they are in as good of shape as the seller states? I'd really like to get a couple years of use out of the current set. I expect to replace them after that but in the meantime I'd like to put money into other things on the cart like tires/rims/lift etc..

Any input is appreciated!
MxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
Plasterface
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Buying my first cart, a couple questions.

Bring a volt meter to test the batteries. Battery terminals should be clean. Check fluid levels in batteries, they should be properly filled.

Do you have any additional cart specifics, like voltage, modifications, etc?

In general though I look at the frame to make sure it is in good condition and look at the battery compartment to make sure it is not corroded and has structural integrity. Make sure lights work. Plug charger in to see that it cycles to charging state. View all componants to see if they at least appear to be in good condition.

Condition of wheels will tell a lot about how a cart was cared for, potentially, if lots of dents and dings cart has seen some rough times.

And of course make sure cart runs on test drive and check bKrake system.
Plasterface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 04:26 PM   #3
MxChris
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Just looked over the cart and the owner stated he only charges it once a week or so. This scares me a little as everything I've read about maintaining batteries says to charge them with an auto off charger every time you park it. It drove and braked well but it felt pretty slow in comparison to my experience driving carts and to my buddies 36v cart (I don't know the brand).

I should have turned on my GPS to check the speed...arrg. I am looking at a couple more before I decide.
MxChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:37 PM   #4
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by MxChris View Post
Just looked over the cart and the owner stated he only charges it once a week or so. This scares me a little as everything I've read about maintaining batteries says to charge them with an auto off charger every time you park it. It drove and braked well but it felt pretty slow in comparison to my experience driving carts and to my buddies 36v cart (I don't know the brand).

I should have turned on my GPS to check the speed...arrg. I am looking at a couple more before I decide.
All depends on usage and state of charge of the pack. I only charge mine every two to three weeks of usage. But I only use mine on the weekends. I haven't used my cart since the last week of June and I just checked my pack voltage yesterday and was 52.2v. I also never leave my charger plugged in because I don't like the idea of an unattended charger in my shop and also if there is an electrical storm which can bring an unexpected power surge. I always keep an eye on my pack voltage after neach use and when needed I plug the charger in and let it complete the charge and then unplug it.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car