lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-30-2012, 11:19 PM   #1
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Default Club Car won't charge

I drove my cart most of the day, and I noticed that the yellow battery light kept coming on and off. It would come on for about 20 seconds, then off for about 10. It did this cycle all day EXCEPT while I was driving it. While I was driving, it was off; the minute I stopped, it came back on. The cart had plenty of power and ran great. Near dark, it was slowing down badly on hills, so I thought I would charge it overnight. When I plugged it in, the meter on the charger went past the 15A mark, and within 30 seconds, the little breaker on the charger popped. I pushed it back in and it would do the same thing. It did this about 5 times until eventually the breaker would not reset. The charger itself and the cord are abnormally warm. Also, the light is back to what it was doing all day. What is causing this? I have had this cart since March and have never had a problem. Thank you for any help...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #2
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Club Car won't charge

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakesnake27 View Post
I drove my cart most of the day, and I noticed that the yellow battery light kept coming on and off. It would come on for about 20 seconds, then off for about 10. It did this cycle all day EXCEPT while I was driving it. While I was driving, it was off; the minute I stopped, it came back on. The cart had plenty of power and ran great. Near dark, it was slowing down badly on hills, so I thought I would charge it overnight. When I plugged it in, the meter on the charger went past the 15A mark, and within 30 seconds, the little breaker on the charger popped. I pushed it back in and it would do the same thing. It did this about 5 times until eventually the breaker would not reset. The charger itself and the cord are abnormally warm. Also, the light is back to what it was doing all day. What is causing this? I have had this cart since March and have never had a problem. Thank you for any help...
Easy and cheap fix. What brand charger do you have?
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 07:49 AM   #3
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
this sounds like something overheated with cart.....are cables all ok and intact? if so i would check each battery you may have one that shorted and thats why charger is actinp up now........it pegging on the meter is saying something about the batteries.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:12 AM   #4
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Powerdrive 2 charger

I've done a little research and found out it could be the rectifier. Also, do I need to replace the breaker because I heard that they get weak when they keep tripping?

All cables are clean and tight.
Thanks
Old 07-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #5
erict
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Powerdrive 2 charger

I've done a little research and found out it could be the rectifier. Also, do I need to replace the breaker because I heard that they get weak when they keep tripping?

Thanks
While you are in there you might as well replace both pieces as they are cheap to buy. Even though your rectifier very well may be the cause, having the breaker keep tripping weakens it so I would replace it too.
erict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
T.Wells
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Powerdrive 2 charger

Thanks
I just changed out the rectifier, relay, and breaker on my Powerdrive 2 charger. It was very easy to do and cheap as well. I bought the kit on ebay for something like $30.

The rectifier was my only problem part but I figured I would do all three while I was inside the charger. You can see more detail in my "battery light stays on thread".

-T.Wells
T.Wells is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2012, 12:07 PM   #7
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Ok guys I think I'll replace all three. Thanks
Old 08-01-2012, 07:01 AM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Ok guys I think I'll replace all three. Thanks
i think if the charger was working right until this happened its a cart problem not charger......i would save the parts you take out but don,t be surprised if charger does same thing......theres a reason it acted up like that ...................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 09:49 AM   #9
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Ok, I'll let you guys know what happens after I replace the charger parts.
Old 08-13-2012, 10:56 PM   #10
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

I finally got around to fixing my charger and after replacing the rectifier, relay, and breaker, everything works perfectly now. Thanks guys for all your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car