lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-01-2012, 09:14 AM   #1
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default EZGO Elec - 36v-12v reducer and accessories

New here! Just bought a 2010 Ez-go from a neighbor 2 days ago. First time owner. It has 6" lift and a speed chip so I guess it goes a little faster than normal...
Anyway, the wife went from "whatever" to "it needs a stereo!"
I'm Googled out on researching this and been all over this forum.
So here is what I know....
**This has a 36v setup.
** I want a 36v to 12v reducer (Already on it's way & know how to wire to batteries)

Here is what I want to do....
** Install a Kenwood KMR-350U head in the ball compartment (crutchfield)
** Speaker pods (customspeakerpods) w/ 2x Polk Audio db651s speakers (crutchfield)
** Cigarette lighter in dash
** Under body neon

Questions....
Is it normal to run all of this off one reducer?
If so just hard wired or some sort of power splitter like used in amp installs?
What is the wiring diagram for the stereo so I don't drain the batteries when not being used?

Another of the subject question. When the cart is not in use, is it best to keep it on the charger??

I know these questions have been answered here, but I'm not seeing clear answers. I was a car stereo installer back in the day, but never messed with an all battery setup. So I want to make sure I get the answers before I start the work!
Thanks everyone in advance. Great forum!
ddeblance is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: EZGO Elec - 36v-12v reducer and accessories

Watch your amp and watt draw, the reducer must be over rated if it is to survive.
Also be sure to switch the reducer power source.
Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 09:43 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeblance View Post
Questions....
1. Is it normal to run all of this off one reducer?
2. If so just hard wired or some sort of power splitter like used in amp installs?
3. What is the wiring diagram for the stereo so I don't drain the batteries when not being used?

4. Another of the subject question. When the cart is not in use, is it best to keep it on the charger??

5. I know these questions have been answered here, but I'm not seeing clear answers. I was a car stereo installer back in the day, but never messed with an all battery setup. So I want to make sure I get the answers before I start the work!
Welcome to BGW!

Sounds like you have a 2010 TXT PDS.
(If the F/R selector is a rocker switch on the dash it is, otherwise it a 2010 TXT Series.)
Mention the drive (PDS or Series) type when asking future questions.

1. Usually Positive output from 12V converter goes to a fuse block and accessories are fed from there.
Negative 12V output is tied to a connection block or point and return wires from all accessories are connected there.
Everything on electric Golf Carts are two wire systems. Grounding the frame is a No-No!!!!
2. Splitter would work, but fuse blocks are more commonly used.
3. Feed the stereo from the keyswitch. Also, some 36V to 12V converters have a remote on/off lead that connects to keyswitch.

4. Batteries ought to be recharged immediately after use. The higher average State of Charge you maintain, the greater your battery pack's life expectancy.

5. Unlike cars, cart accessories are two wire systems. (The battery pack is capable of arc-welding, so use do not want to inadvertently ground the frame via a one wire accessory.)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 11:30 AM   #4
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Awesome! Already getting responses!
Thanks for the hint on adding PDS to the title. Yes, it has the f/r switch on the dash. Sometimes it doesn't respond when backing out of the garage. Have to put it in fw, bump the gas, then put in rev before it will move.

What does PDS stand for?

Ok, the fuse block sounds better than the splitter and probably cheaper. I noticed the fuse block that is under the seat is just wide open in the elements. Is this ok?

For wiring the stereo.... Black wire connects to negative post on battery?
Yellow is constant and would go to the fuse block.
Red wire is switched power and would go to where on the key?

The reducer I'm getting is the Golf Cart Voltage Reducer 36V-48V to 12V 10 Amp from DIY Golf Cart.

Will this work for stereo, under body leds, couple strands of led christmas lights?

Thanks again for the help! Much appreciated!

I know I'll have more questions as this progresses...
Old 10-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
1. Sometimes it doesn't respond when backing out of the garage. Have to put it in fw, bump the gas, then put in rev before it will move.

2. What does PDS stand for?

3. Ok, the fuse block sounds better than the splitter and probably cheaper. I noticed the fuse block that is under the seat is just wide open in the elements. Is this ok?

4. For wiring the stereo.... Black wire connects to negative post on battery?
Yellow is constant and would go to the fuse block.
Red wire is switched power and would go to where on the key?

5. The reducer I'm getting is the Golf Cart Voltage Reducer 36V-48V to 12V 10 Amp from DIY Golf Cart.

Will this work for stereo, under body leds, couple strands of led christmas lights?

1. Could be several things like the F/R switch, or Pedal microswitch or the
Controller going bad or loose wiring.
Does the solenoid click when it won't start in reverse?
Does the beeper sound?

2. Precision Drive System.

3. Unless you drive through swamps. it should be okay.

4. My bad. You cannot connect the stereo system to the keyswitch unless the keyswitch has a "Lights" position. Then it will have a separate set of switched contact for 12V.
If the Keyswitch only has On and OFF it only switches the 36V and you launch the stereo into orbit if you attach it there.
However, if the voltage converter has a remote power control feature, it can be switched on and off by the switched 36V.

5. 10A isn't much at 12V, only 120 Watts. Add up the amp usage for the different accessories you are planning to install.
Old 10-01-2012, 03:01 PM   #6
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

1. Yes there is the beep when it's in reverse and I hear the click, but no go.... Actually it's done to to me twice and hasn't done it again. I'll pay more attention next time it happens.

2. Thanks!

3. No swamps for me!

4. It does have a off/on/lights position on the key. Does that make a difference?

5. Ok, I should go with a 25-30amp then???
Old 10-02-2012, 05:05 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
4. It does have a off/on/lights position on the key. Does that make a difference?

5. Ok, I should go with a 25-30amp then???
4. Here is a drawing showing the difference.

5. Like I said before, add up the number of amps each accessory uses.
The 12V converter will have to supply that number, or more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Keyswitch wiring PDS.JPG (92.7 KB, 0 views)
Old 10-02-2012, 08:46 AM   #8
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

JohnnieB has already commented on most this but I would like my try. Comments in red

Quote:
New here! Just bought a 2010 Ez-go from a neighbor 2 days ago. First time owner. It has 6" lift and a speed chip so I guess it goes a little faster than normal...
Anyway, the wife went from "whatever" to "it needs a stereo!" As johnnieb said, this aignt enough and you have a bigger one needed.
I'm Googled out on researching this and been all over this forum.
So here is what I know....
**This has a 36v setup.
** I want a 36v to 12v reducer (Already on it's way & know how to wire to batteries) That helps a lot

Here is what I want to do....
** Install a Kenwood KMR-350U head in the ball compartment (crutchfield) Nice choice. Marine is a must. The specs say the head unit is 10A Max
** Speaker pods (customspeakerpods) w/ 2x Polk Audio db651s speakers (crutchfield) If only run off the head unit you are still within the 10A max.
** Cigarette lighter in dash . This is an unknown. I see the 350U is Ipod capable so I have to assume you want the 12v output to plug your phone in? Your phone charger can run from 0.2A - 1.0A That needs to be taken into consideration
** Under body neon. This is also an unknown but if they are LED the draw is not much but if neon tubes the draw could skyrocket. I think you said christmas lights. LOL what have I done.

Questions....
Is it normal to run all of this off one reducer? yes if the reducer is big enough
If so just hard wired or some sort of power splitter like used in amp installs? Like said, fuse block it and use a block with a common ground you can run both your wires to. I know JohnnieB said how you can't use the frame as a ground but it can't be said enough. DO NOT USE THE FRAME AS A GROUND. It's just not good for your own long life.
What is the wiring diagram for the stereo so I don't drain the batteries when not being used? Are you willing to reset your presets every time you use the cart? If you are you can put both red and yellow to the switch but I bet that will become a pain and you will just want to put yellow to the fuse block , but that also means you will have to take vigilance to keep the cart plugged in.

Another of the subject question. When the cart is not in use, is it best to keep it on the charger?? Yes, absolutely yes.

I know these questions have been answered here, but I'm not seeing clear answers. I was a car stereo installer back in the day, but never messed with an all battery setup. So I want to make sure I get the answers before I start the work!
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:53 AM   #9
ddeblance
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Great! Thanks for all the help! Lots of good info for this newbie. And I can use it!
Yes, I said Christmas lights. The subdivision I'm in puts on a couple parades during the year. There are a lot of nice custom carts here and they get in the parades. My 6yr old daughter saw the potential for the new cart instantly. So.... Gotta make the little ones happy ;)

Right now, I'm trying to locate some brake shoes locally since I pulled the drum off last night and discovered I'm running them paper thin.... I don't have the funds to do the upgrades this time, so have to save up for the next time.

By the way... I bought this 2010 ezgo TXT PDS from the original owner for $3k. So far I've buffed out the Texas pin stripes, cleaned the batteries (mistreated cosmetically) and now the brakes. Everything else looks solid.... Was this a good deal??
Old 10-02-2012, 10:18 AM   #10
dawgn86
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds like a pretty good deal to me !
dawgn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO