lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-11-2012, 02:01 PM   #11
Don curson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Speed Magnet

I actually had a cart company make a house call and install what they called the high speed magnet. Since this is my first cart, I'm not sure now just what magnet they installed. I know just the magnet install did not make much of a speed difference at all. I still have the old magnet they took off, is there some way to tell just what type it is?
Don curson is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-11-2012, 03:04 PM   #12
KLARKWGRIZWALD
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Hope I'm helping more than interfering here since this is my first post.

I have a 2008.5 CC Precedent

I recently purchased a magnet (P16C25R4) from Phoenix America and installed it yesterday. My cart was originally at speed code 3 - 16mph. Now it's running at 19mph on stock everything.

The easiest way to find out if the magnet is working is to park the cart on an incline and let it roll. Does the motor try to stop the cart from rolling or does it roll freely? Changing the magnet made a huge difference to me when I let off the gas and can actually coast a good ways now. Before, the motor would slow the cart to a stop just after a few yards from full throttle. Now I can coast with no gas for about 50 yards from full throttle.

If you cart isn't rolling freely down inclines and coasting, you still have a stock magnet. By the way,this was my first mod and I am not very mechanical at all. I managed to install the magnet in about 5 minutes with a pair of pliers and a socket set. VERY simple.
KLARKWGRIZWALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:16 PM   #13
Don curson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the info. I am trying to remember if it rolls freely or not. I am thinking it does but will check it this weekend. The only problem is trying to find somewhere in Galveston that has a slight incline!!!!!
Old 10-11-2012, 03:20 PM   #14
KLARKWGRIZWALD
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

LOL! I know the feeling...I'm in Crosby TX which is pretty much at sea level too!
KLARKWGRIZWALD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2012, 03:51 PM   #15
Don curson
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I didn't even see crosby Tx there. You better than anyone know what I am talking about with flatland in our area!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:11 AM   #16
lowrider
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the replys guys, learning a lot. However, I thought I read a post a while back that talked about a high speed magnet not benefitting a 2009 precedent?
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 11:46 AM   #17
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Thanks for the replys guys, learning a lot. However, I thought I read a post a while back that talked about a high speed magnet not benefitting a 2009 precedent?
Only if it's got the Excel drive system. The IQ system can benefit, Excel can not.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 01:13 PM   #18
lowrider
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for clearing that up for me David. My model# is PH0930. Looks like i am out of luck with the magnet. So I guess my biggest bang for the buck is a PQ motor upgrade.
Old 10-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #19
TahoeDawgZ71
revolutiongolfcars.com

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Thanks for clearing that up for me David. My model# is PH0930. Looks like i am out of luck with the magnet. So I guess my biggest bang for the buck is a PQ motor upgrade.
PQ motors utilize the speed magnets. You'd have to talk to them to see how they wanna handle it with the Excel system. IMO if anyone is considering a motor/controller upgrade on an Excel car they should purchase an IQ wire harness for a Precedent of their same model year. It's cheap and you can avoid a LOT of headaches by doing it this way. You'll be able to use an upgraded controller for an IQ car, which opens up many many more options.
TahoeDawgZ71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 05:20 PM   #20
lowrider
Getting Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the info David. Cant I just give PQ my motor and have them upgrade with nothing else needed? I am here in SC and can drop it off to them and go back when done. If I am clear with what I am reading, that will give me the 22mph(+/-) and a little more torque?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car