lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-16-2014, 05:17 AM   #1
Ricky Ricardo
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Default 88 ez motor fit

I am wanting to install D&D's 170-010-0002 in a 88 EZ I am fixing up. Seems it is for later model carts. Does any body know why? I can modify cart to some degree such as making physical room, but if the bolt pattern is different, or the drive mating is different, those are not things I can fix. TNX
Ricky Ricardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-17-2014, 04:26 PM   #2
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 ez motor fit

I have that exact same motor in my 91 Marathon. It fits without any issue.

There were two different style axles on Marathons and I am not sure of the year they went to the newer style. If your axle holds the motor parallel to it (like newer ezgos) then it most likey will fit. If your axle points the motor to the front of the cart then I don't know if it will.

The D&D 170-010-0002 will fit a ezgo 19 spline input shaft.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2014, 09:06 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Give D&D a call, they'll tell you if it will fit your cart or not.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:26 PM   #4
Ricky Ricardo
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Thanks guys. As long as the coupling clearances will work, I'll do what it takes to make anything else work. I have a BIG hammer.
Old 01-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
Ricky Ricardo
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

So.. ab46501.. How is this motor performing for ya? What voltage are you running? I will use a 64 volt pack feeding an SPM 72500. Tires will be 22 inch Carlise all trail II. Not all that fired up on going fast. Just want to know I can crawl around in the woods and be able to run 1 MPH faster than my brothers 17mph cart.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:26 AM   #6
ab46501
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I really like the motor it is a good combination of speed and torque. I have no problem climbing any hill. I am only running 36v right now on 22" tires with plans to go 48v soon.

I know at 36v that motor spins 3250 RPM and at 48v the motor will spin at 3950 RPM. 3950 RPM with 22 inch tires will get you about 20mph on a smooth flat.

I don't know how fast the RPM would be at 64v but my guess is that at the very least you would be in the mid to upper 20's which is flying in one of these carts.

I use mine hunting so most of the time I am just creeping around at less than 10mph.
ab46501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 01:30 PM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

If the 12V increase between 36V and 48V gives a 700 RPM increase, the 12V increase between 48V and 64V might do something similar.
If so, the motor would spin at 4,650 RPM, which would be 24.5MPH on 22" tires.

Of course, the top speed is limited by the rolling resistance of the tires (plus some other factors), and the All Trail II comes in two flavors.
The ones with a max inflation pressure of 14 PSI will have more rolling resistance than the ones with a 22 PSI max inflation pressure, so the cart won't go as fast on the softer tires.

Unless you need 22" tires for ground clearance, and only want enough speed to outrun your brother's cart, a shorter tire height would give you better torque and longer run-time. IE: a 20" tire would give you 20MPH @ 4650 RPM and would need fewer amps to spin at that speed.

Also, with less drag, the motor might spin faster, but little need to worry, 6,500 is the max RPM for a D&D motor.
Old 01-27-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
If the 12V increase between 36V and 48V gives a 700 RPM increase, the 12V increase between 48V and 64V might do something similar.
If so, the motor would spin at 4,650 RPM, which would be 24.5MPH on 22" tires.

Of course, the top speed is limited by the rolling resistance of the tires (plus some other factors), and the All Trail II comes in two flavors.
The ones with a max inflation pressure of 14 PSI will have more rolling resistance than the ones with a 22 PSI max inflation pressure, so the cart won't go as fast on the softer tires.

Unless you need 22" tires for ground clearance, and only want enough speed to outrun your brother's cart, a shorter tire height would give you better torque and longer run-time. IE: a 20" tire would give you 20MPH @ 4650 RPM and would need fewer amps to spin at that speed.

Also, with less drag, the motor might spin faster, but little need to worry, 6,500 is the max RPM for a D&D motor.
AND with a little more torque by using the 20" vs. the 22".....it will be a little quicker "out of the hole"
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2014, 06:04 AM   #9
Ricky Ricardo
Not Yet Wild
Cushman

Sure do appreciate all the input. The 64 volt pack will not be for the 64 volts (speed) but for additional watt hours. (bigger gas tank). The SPM72500 will be programed for 16-18MPH. We too are not interested in speed. We need to crawl around on the washed out roots and rocks at out summer house where it is quite hilly. The 22 inch tires are just to try to smooth out those rough trails a little. I am currently using 20 inchers on my other cart and hope the larger diameter will roll over the rocks easier along with buying a little more ground clearance at the diff.
Old 01-28-2014, 07:46 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ricky Ricardo View Post
Sure do appreciate all the input. The 64 volt pack will not be for the 64 volts (speed) but for additional watt hours. (bigger gas tank). The SPM72500 will be programed for 16-18MPH. We too are not interested in speed. We need to crawl around on the washed out roots and rocks at out summer house where it is quite hilly. The 22 inch tires are just to try to smooth out those rough trails a little. I am currently using 20 inchers on my other cart and hope the larger diameter will roll over the rocks easier along with buying a little more ground clearance at the diff.
My goal was range rather than speed or torque, but ended up with a generous amount of all three.

I suspect you plan on using an 8 X 8V pack to get 64V.
If so, you can carry anywhere from about 118% to about 160% more kWh than what is stored in the standard 36V battery pack.

I'm not sure how much smoother the ride will be on 22" tires ns 20" tires, but the difference in differential clearance is only 1" and there is an additional 8% loss in torque. (20" = 13% torque loss vs 22" = 21% torque loss)
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO