lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #1
rgidlr
Not Yet Wild

Default Passanger side Brake grabbing more than Driver side

Hello:
I have a 2004 Club Car DS. The rear passenger brakes are engaging more aggressively than the driver side. I Jacked up the golf cart. Took the wheels off and noticed that the drum on the driver side came off with very little work but the one on the passenger side took a lot of tapping and prying to get it off. So obviously this one is the side engaging more. I cleaned out the brake assembly with carburetor / brake cleaner and inspected both side. All seemed normal. Then I loosened the adjustment mechanism on both side to resemble having replace the shoes. As normal I had to push the lever assembly up so I could turn the screw on the adjustment mechanism until it was compressed fully. From there I installed the drum and the tire. Then proceeded to pump the break three or four times to have the brakes automatically adjust. Went to a test drive and at first it seemed okay but a day later you could tell the same situation is back again. So I lifter the cart and found the same. The passenger side very tight and the driver side no so much. I proceeded to inspect the brake cables visually but saw nothing. Then I looked at the equalizer bracket but found that since the rod assembly coming from the brake pedal goes into the equalizer bracket in the middle there is really no way to adjust one side more than the other. What are next steps? What did I miss? What could be the problem? Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
rgidlr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-17-2010, 01:39 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Passanger side Brake grabbing more than Driver side

I have had good luck replacing the adjusters when they act like this... I suggest doing both sides at once....
Note:
CC manual says car must be moving to self adjust.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 08:55 PM   #3
rgidlr
Not Yet Wild

The adjuster meaning the wheel that has teeth which gets locked in by the assembly lever?
Old 11-17-2010, 09:28 PM   #4
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you cleaned the adjusters with brakeclean then you should have put some wd40 or an equivelent on the adjuster.Also you might have the brake cable on that side going or gone bad.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 10:45 PM   #5
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

when I run brake clean on carts, I disasemble everything and liberally coat with anti-seize.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Check the backing plates ( where shoes sit against backing plate for wear groves and or lack of lubrication. ( IF MINOR can be smoothed with file, use brake lub only ) I find this stops adjuster operation and can cause shoes to not retract causing drag?
Check drums for out of round condition as this can cause "over adjusting" because of jurking action.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #7
rgidlr
Not Yet Wild

Good points to check into thanks. Never thought of the backing plate.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car