lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-03-2012, 04:41 PM   #1
plantguy90
Getting Wild

Default upgraded controller, still slow 94 marathon

ok, so I got the AXE 400amp controller into the Marathon, but there's no difference in the insanely slow speed of this cart.

this is a work cart, not a fun cart. What now? time to rip out that motor?

would be nice if it ran close to the speed of our 2001 stock ezgo, so folks here can get some work done.
plantguy90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-03-2012, 05:17 PM   #2
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Default Re: upgraded controller, still slow 94 marathon

I got the biggest bang for no buck on my 94 series cart when I took apart the F-N-R assy and cleaned it up. It easily gave me 2 to 3 mph and returned lots of lacking torque. If your F-N-R looks like this one I would at least try for the cheap first.

Good Luck
Shon
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:01 PM   #3
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Is all you upgraded was your controller? What about cables, solenoid f&r etc. Without a motor you will not gain speed on a series cart.
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It's a series cart. Increasing amperage increases torque, not speed.

Increase voltage to increase speed. 48 volts will increase speed 33% mathematically.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 11:23 PM   #5
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
It's a series cart. Increasing amperage increases torque, not speed.

Increase voltage to increase speed. 48 volts will increase speed 33% mathematically.
So if he was having a lot of resistance through the whole circuit there would be less voltage for speed when it is all said and done. My thought of cleaning the switch and that type of cheap check is still valid.
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 12:09 AM   #6
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I'd still check. Hell it can't hurt
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:53 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'll try to place my size 16 hooves lightly and carefully so I don't step on any toes.

Just like increasing battery pack voltage increases speed, reducing it reduces speed.

Anything with resistance drops voltage across it when current flows trough it, so if anything in the high current motor circuit has any resistance, less voltage is being applied to the motor.

Gonkulor had excessive resistance in his F/R switch, so he fixed it and gained some speed. You may or may not be able to do the same. It depends on the condition of your F/R switch.

By getting rid of any excessive resistance in the high current path, you can get your cart to go as fast as it can go, but it'll never go any faster than it did the day it came off the assembly line unless you up the battery pack voltage, install taller tires or change the gears in differential or any and all combinations thereof. Of course you have to upgrade the rest of the components to handle the additional load.

I'm not sure what the speed of a typical stock marathon is, but I think it is only about 12 MPH. (Please correct me if I am wrong.)

Here is a drawing of the high current path in a generic series cart.
Any resistance in any cable, contact or connector will reduce the battery pack voltage applied to the motor and decrease the maximum speed.
(Note: Excluding precharge resister and cable depicted with dotted line.)

JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2012, 06:49 PM   #8
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by plantguy90 View Post
ok, so I got the AXE 400amp controller into the Marathon, but there's no difference in the insanely slow speed of this cart.

this is a work cart, not a fun cart. What now? time to rip out that motor?

would be nice if it ran close to the speed of our 2001 stock ezgo, so folks here can get some work done.
If the cart is slower than 12 mph, the pot box could be out of adjustment or going bad.
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO