lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #1
norm0649
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Pops then runs ok

Well guys and gals I'm now able to ask you for help so here goes...I have a 1992 Club Car DS w/FE290 gas engine that has had two issues. At times after I stopped to play it wouldn't start...just kept cranking after a while it calmed down and would start. Second issue when it did run ok for 9-18 holes it would cough then run just great until I stopped and then it would do the same thing whenever I moved again. Pop then smooth acceleration. What I've done so far: replaced fuel and air filters, fuel lines, carburetor, fuel pump, coil, igniter, rpm limiter, spark plug and blew out all vent lines in fuel system. Cart doesn't fail to start any longer but I still have a pop or cough once warmed up and stop, start golf play resumes. It runs smoothly all day as long as I don't stop. I know it's old (and so am I) but the engine doesn't smoke and runs great. Any suggestions on what I should do to cure this thing other then shooting it?
norm0649 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-18-2013, 08:39 PM   #2
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Pops then runs ok

sure sounds like a burnt valve maybe time for a head job
nobuckbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
norm0649
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for your input but the engine seems to run great after initial startup. Wouldn't a burnt valve be heard in the exhaust or felt like a misfire?
Old 09-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #4
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

lets see works when cold and then when warm it acts up that says valve train to me and typical of the fe290 check clearances the pop could be the exhaust opening late due to a loose rocker start with that and get back to us check the clearence on that and make sure its in spec both cold and then run it and check it once it starts acting up . if adjusting it to spec does not work then pull the pushrods to make sure they are not bent. if they are ok then you have to pull the head and check the valves they may be just sticky from running and carbon buildup a good cleaning sometimes does the job. but if you have it off I would recommend getting new valves and machining it , the bottom end on these engines last forever when maintained but the top ends require service on average ever 10-15 years depending on use
Old 09-19-2013, 08:55 PM   #5
norm0649
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

That's some great advice and I'll definitely be checking the valve lash as soon as the cart comes in from the CC in about a month or two. Meanwhile it seems to start and run smoothly provided I just ease onto the throttle. It's currently in an open air parking lot until the club closes. Thanks for the great advice. I find the best way to learn is asking from those who have experience. Much appreciated!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:17 PM   #6
nobuckbuild
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

thats what we try to do here , rarely does someone have a problem that someone else has not had or seen and keeps it fun because we can keep our cost down and make friends while helping each other out.
Old 09-23-2013, 07:24 PM   #7
norm0649
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Well I really thought the mystery was solved when I adjusted the valves on this engine today but I still have an issue with this cart. It ran good for a while and then just when I thought the problem was gone it coughed in the carb before take off! I stopped and matted the accelerator to see if it would do it again and it did. However it has gotten much better it seems. Doesn't do it every time, just occasionally. If acceleration is gradual it never coughs at all. Runs real quiet and purrs like a kitten. I just wanted to get that last little hesitation out but I've about had enough. Any more thoughts out there?
Replaced fuel and ignition system with all new parts. No more start failure but still have the nagging occasional cough.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:51 AM   #8
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Sounds like it's a bit too lean. It leans out when you open the throttle and misfires. Try going richer on the carb settings.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2013, 09:17 PM   #9
azdave
Not Yet Wild

Your problem is similar to one I had with my '92 DS. Not exactly the same since mine would run ok at first then start to pop and act like a fuel problem. BUT after trying all other fixes, it was the igniter. Changed the igniter and ran just fine after that.
Warning, do not buy a knock off igniter, about $60, made in China (mine lasted 5 hours). The OEM one made in Japan, about $100, is still running after a year of service.
Another thing I did was to move the igniter from the hard to get location under the engine to the frame just in front of the engine. Any future changes will now be a piece of cake.
azdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car