lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2018, 07:21 AM   #1
cvingr
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Batteries?! Trojan Vs. Crown Vs. US Batteries.

I`m sure this has been asked and/or debated many times. I`m upgrading my cart from 36 to 48 volt. Got all my stuff from Scotty( Thanks Scotty!!). I`m buying 6 new 8 volt batteries soon. Just not sure which ones I want to get. I call a place that sells Trojan, they say they are the best, dont waste your time with the others... I call a guys that sells US, same story, etc... I`m sure any of them, with proper maintenance, will be fine. I`m just looking for something to tip me towards one of them! Amp hours being equal/similar.
cvingr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2018, 07:31 AM   #2
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Default Re: Batteries?! Trojan Vs. Crown Vs. US Batteries.

The bias is real especially regarding Trojan. They think they are the Apple of batteries.

The only crap batteries i know of are Duracell, Exide/Rural King, and Econo Power, or Duralast (gas cars). You might get one to three years out of those vs. 6 to 8 years from a Crown, Trojan or US Battery. We sell US Batteries with a 2 year warranty at our shop.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:36 AM   #3
FF Titus
Gone Wild

As a dealer for all four brands, in the north east, with campers who don't care, and courses too, trojan and crown I've seen the least amount of returns. I like the crowns (CR150) because of the duel posts. Trojan T875 comes with a standard 18 month warranty, crown has a 12 month. US1800s and 2200s I had a ton of returns.
FF Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:38 AM   #4
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Exact opposite for us. Trojans seem to cost double what a US does and can fail more often but we get abusive customers who do a lot of jury rigging anyway so that might be partly to blame. US has a 2 year warranty that is nice. But basically anything NOT Exide or no-name is good. Avoid any battery with no branding or a branding that sounds off such as Econo Power or Super START!
Old 08-31-2018, 07:42 AM   #5
FF Titus
Gone Wild

I'm paying roughly 30% more for trojan Vs others. I have a few clients who bring in a T875 now and then for warranty, but it's the same 3 people.

The 2 year warranty is nice, but with HBs (my vendor) very slow response rate and delivery time, the customer may be waiting 2 years for that replacement battery.
FF Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:44 AM   #6
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Have you seen what are infamously known as Black Box Trojan batteries? We had extreme bad luck with those. They were being pawned off as cheaper Trojans in a black casing, and failed quite spectacularly in experience. We see those any more we just swap them out for real Trojans if customer demands that.
Old 08-31-2018, 07:46 AM   #7
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I’ve tried them all and my choice is the Trojan T875. The US batteries tend to need a different charger.

Club Car DS driver’s club #59
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2018, 07:47 AM   #8
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Have you seen what are infamously known as Black Box Trojan batteries? We had extreme bad luck with those. They were being pawned off as cheaper Trojans in a black casing, and failed quite spectacularly in experience. We see those any more we just swap them out for real Trojans if customer demands that.

You don’t mean Powertron I’m sure. Those are actually decent for the price.

Old 08-31-2018, 07:47 AM   #9
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Different charger? Can you elaborate on that? Around here we seem to have good success with US AND Trojans (not so much the black boxes) so long as a fill system is not used, just using whatever charger the car came with.

No, these were just nameless black boxed batteries that were being passed off as Trojans by a battery dealer, and were being sold for 25% less than a branded (and green box) Trojan. Other than the lack of branding and a different color they did look close. But lasted half the time of a real Trojan and Trojan themselves did not honor any warranty on them
Old 08-31-2018, 07:49 AM   #10
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
Different charger? Can you elaborate on that? Around here we seem to have good success with US AND Trojans (not so much the black boxes) so long as a fill system is not used, just using whatever charger the car came with.

US batteries use a different charging algorithm and if charged wrong they are prone to boil over. Usually the best thing is to get a DPI charger or replace the OBC on a Club Car. Yamaha YDRE chargers seem to like Trojans too.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO