lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-09-2019, 09:17 PM   #1
dodgefather
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Do you RXV owners.........

put your cart in tow mode, remove the negative battery cable, turn key to reverse and drain the reserve power before working on your cart? I would think you would want to remove the positive cable first? There is a lot more to my 2014 RXV then there was to my 2001 txt lol. thanks
dodgefather is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-09-2019, 09:26 PM   #2
dodgefather
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Do you RXV owners.........

Here s a pic

IMG_2740.jpg
Old 12-09-2019, 11:03 PM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

There are no reserves to drain. TOW, disconnect main cables.

It's a golf car, not a television set. You're not going to get zapped by stored high voltage.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:05 AM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Always put in "tow" first. After that, you can disconnect any cable "first" . You are just breaking a chain/loop. I pick a cable with nothing else on it, that way you are only making/breaking only one point (not 3 or 4 connections). Honestly, the controller cant feel if you did B- first, or B+ first, but it might feel if you did 4 different wires while making the connections. Thats why I choose a connection point where only one wire gets "put" when making the last connection. I work in the industry, where I have extras of these around, so I make the last connection through a "pre-charge resistor" before I make that last link every time (I teach everyone around me to do so too, and will find them a resistor to keep/use). If I didnt have that option, i would absolutely always pick a point where the "last connection" only involves only one cable, not 4 odd wires. Others may disagree, let them do it their way. I been at this for over a decade. One benefit is it eliminates that "spark" everyone is so scared of. If it's a "dead short", the resistor will get hot in their finger before the "welder arc" ever had a chance to happen.

I have been known to use a 50a fuse on unknown stuff I want to be sure it cant "drive away"
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:47 PM   #5
dodgefather
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks, the guy told me the controllers on these carts were susceptible to sparks and to be cautious when putting electrical add on's. just wanted to make sure.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:26 PM   #6
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdalzell1 View Post
There are no reserves to drain. TOW, disconnect main cables.

It's a golf car, not a television set. You're not going to get zapped by stored high voltage.
now that brings back memories. I started in electronics in Vocational School, Radio and TV Repair Shop. always had to dis-charge the hi-voltage of the the CRT to ground before dis-connecting the hi voltage connection from the CRT. Same goes for the power supply Caps. always keep one hand in your back pocket.
Phil_Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 09:39 PM   #7
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Always put in "tow" first. After that, you can disconnect any cable "first" . You are just breaking a chain/loop. I pick a cable with nothing else on it, that way you are only making/breaking only one point (not 3 or 4 connections). Honestly, the controller cant feel if you did B- first, or B+ first, but it might feel if you did 4 different wires while making the connections. Thats why I choose a connection point where only one wire gets "put" when making the last connection. I work in the industry, where I have extras of these around, so I make the last connection through a "pre-charge resistor" before I make that last link every time (I teach everyone around me to do so too, and will find them a resistor to keep/use). If I didnt have that option, i would absolutely always pick a point where the "last connection" only involves only one cable, not 4 odd wires. Others may disagree, let them do it their way. I been at this for over a decade. One benefit is it eliminates that "spark" everyone is so scared of. If it's a "dead short", the resistor will get hot in their finger before the "welder arc" ever had a chance to happen.

I have been known to use a 50a fuse on unknown stuff I want to be sure it cant "drive away"
hey I am with you. main positive or negative that have multiple wires connected. I usually disconnect the negative cable off of the main B+ batt. Cart don't care and there is less likely a chance to miss a wire when re-connecting. I never heard of using a pre-charge resistor to re-connect the pack, but it makes perfect sense. keep the surge to caps at a minimum. I think I learned something here... thanks man.. I will have to give it a try... thanks - Phil
Old 12-10-2019, 09:50 PM   #8
Phil_Billy
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefather View Post
Thanks, the guy told me the controllers on these carts were susceptible to sparks and to be cautious when putting electrical add on's. just wanted to make sure.
Dodgefather, any add on's should be added to the battery pack only. Depending on the current demand you may want to add a voltage converter to use the entire battery pack 48 vdc and convert down to accessory volts 12 vdc.
Old 12-11-2019, 02:51 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodgefather View Post
There is definitely some truth to this. Jack-wagons (for lack of a more appropriate term) totally munched a controller at "ezgo school" by carelessly arcing the terminals repeatedly while making the last connection, right in front of the "teacher". As far as "add-ons" go, you have to be super careful, and know what/how you are doing. Never Ever add any accessories to an rxv by "tapping into" the keyswitch wires, really expensive mistakes are about to happen! There are easy & safe ways to do it, search our info before bad things happen!
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ez go rxv 2014
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO