lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2021, 07:58 AM   #1
binder49
Gone Wild

Default Flip the run/tow switch to move

I have a 1995 Medalist DCS 36 volt. It has a XCT400DCS controller, heavy duty solenoid and 2 ga cables. I have to flip the run tow switch a couple of times to get it to move. Once it moves i works perfect until I put it back in tow position when not using it. I them have to flip the switch a couple times again. I was thinking a sticky solenoid, but not sure. Any ideas would be a great help.
binder49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-07-2021, 03:28 PM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Flip the run/tow switch to move

Not sure why you are putting Run/Tow into Tow when cart isn't being towed or worked on.

There is a large number of filter capacitors that have to be charged (Via Pin-10) before the XCT will operate. When in Tow, they are discharged via a bleeder network (safety feature) and when switched to Run there is a high inrush of amps through Pin-10 and if done repeatedly the pin/jack interface may have gotten overheated.

For troubleshooting purposes, try putting into Run a minute or more before trying to drive cart. If the cart runs normally after giving the capacitor time to charge, then check Pin-10 for corrosion or burning. Also check Run/Tow switch and wires for heat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg XCT in DCS.jpg (246.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2030.jpg (117.4 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 03:40 PM   #3
binder49
Gone Wild

I was under the assumption the switch had to put into the tow position or it would drain the batteries. If it wont drain the batteries I will leave it in run.
Old 09-07-2021, 04:45 PM   #4
aczlan
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by binder49 View Post
I was under the assumption the switch had to put into the tow position or it would drain the batteries. If it wont drain the batteries I will leave it in run.
It will drain the batteries, but it will take a while (ie: leaving it for a month or two) to drain them.
Leaving it on for a few days or a few weeks with a full charge should not noticeably drain it.

Aaron Z
aczlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 05:27 PM   #5
binder49
Gone Wild

Thanks for the replies.
Old 09-07-2021, 05:38 PM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by binder49 View Post
According to the Alltrax website, the standby current of an XCT is 35ma (0.035A) so it would take about 9 months to drain the standard 225AH 36V battery pack. The self-discharge rate for the batteries is about 1% per day, or about 90ma, so you ended up with roughly a 125ma discharge rate, or 2.5 months.

When in long term storage (several weeks or more), okay to put it into Tow, but other than that or when towing or working on it, leave it in RUN.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2021, 06:29 PM   #7
binder49
Gone Wild

Thanks JohnnieB. I will do that
Old 10-16-2021, 05:51 AM   #8
binder49
Gone Wild

Thanks for the help. I replaced the 10 pin connector. Problem solved. Also I am now leaving the run/tow switch in the run position unless I need to work on it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO