lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2021, 01:13 PM   #1
urungus
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Lithium battery upgrade advice

Hi, new poster here, I am looking for advice on lithium battery upgrade for my club car

I have a 2014 club car Precedent I2 Excel (serial starts with PH1402) with six 8v batteries = 48 v system

Existing batteries are Club car “PD Plus” battery part number 105138301 - BCI Group Size GC8 eight-volt batteries - 10 3/8 x 7 3/16 x 10 7/8 inches

I believe the stock motor controller on 2014 club car precedent is 250 amps, but I am not 100% sure

I am looking for a simple “drop in” replacement kit that will use my existing battery hold downs (brackets) and the cart’s existing round three prong charging socket.

Here are a few questions I have:

1) recommendation on specific lithium battery kit and charger

2) do i need an obc bypass (onboard computer), i have heard some club cars need this ? If so, what is the best obc bypass kit ? Acegolfcartcovers dot com says kit is only required for club car precedent 1993-2013 but I’ve seen elsewhere it is required for all club car precedent ?

3) will i need a new step down converter to 12v for my headlights ?

4) do i need some sort of empty battery case for the empty battery slots, since i will now have fewer than 6 batteries ?

5) recommendation for battery gauge that will reach dashboard. Are there any options that do not involve drilling a hole in the dashboard (eg it looks like there is a fair amount of room to route a wire around the steering column)
urungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2021, 01:54 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium battery upgrade advice

My .02 if you’re looking for drop in replacements and use existing battery tie downs, call Don plowman www.plowmanscarts.com

Everyone is going to have different opinions but the main reason I went with allied is simply because they’re the same size and shape as a normal battery so drop right in and strap down with existing hardware already in the cart. I bought from Don because he’s local, but have nothing but positive to say about him. If you search around here in the Yamaha forums, you’ll find the same.

Excellent man to do business with and cheapest prices on allied batteries anywhere to be found. I bought 2 of the 48v 30aH batteries (for 60aH total) from him with a charger and battery meter, and couldn’t be happier with the setup. My cart is basically Stock and I’m getting around 30 miles on a charge. I did not fill the “empty” spaces, just left them empty and have extra space if I wanted to toss a cargo box or something down there. The battery meter from allied is, well, I don’t use it really. I’ve got a cheap $10 voltage meter from Amazon on my dash. The allied meter works great but you have to let it sit for a half hour before taking readings. It’s voltage gauge has a slow refresh rate and it is really best just mounting it under the seat. I ran mine all the way up to the dash, but have since moved it inside one of my glove box doors.

He can supply you with a battery gauge and charger with the round club car plug. You WILL want to bypass the OBC if your cart has one but that’s very quick and easy to do. If you’ve got the power drive charger it should have an OBC. If you have the newer ERIC charger then no OBC. I think they stopped using the OBC right around that time… And if you already have a 48v>12v converter I don’t see any reason you couldn’t reuse it. I’ve got a cheap $30 one from Amazon but it does fine for what I need to run headlights and underbody lights.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lithium obc
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car