lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-02-2022, 02:46 PM   #1
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Extreme Team Battery Shutting down

My 3 month old 72v 150ah battery keeps shutting off. I sent Extreme Team an email today and will keep everyone posted on what the problem is and their solution. Needless to say I am not happy after spending the amount of money that I did that keeps happening. I sure do hope they figure out what is wrong and/or make it right. We shall see....
Beerdude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-02-2022, 07:06 PM   #2
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Extreme Team Battery Shutting down

Well, on a whim I decided that even though the meter said 100% before it died I would connect the charger. The battery booted up as expected and the app said the battery was at 97% charged. I left it connected and its been charging around 4 hours. I just returned home and the green light on the charger is now red indicating a "Low Charge charging <10%"....This makes absolutely no sense to me
Old 02-02-2022, 07:23 PM   #3
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Likely one or more of your batteries is out of balance and the BMS is shutting it down. Can you access your BMS and check the status? Also avoid charging them unless the temp is above 10C (50F). Get you a timer so you don't leave them charging when it isn't necessary.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:30 PM   #4
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

I know nothing about these but if I read correctly, the maximum continuous discharge current is 200 but the BMS is set for 150. Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

It would be unlikely that you are exceeding the max CDC in normal operation unless you have a lot of hills.

My EB has a max CDC of 175 but I have never seen over 123 on my SOC meter on level ground.

I hope the problem is easy for you to resolve with Extreme Team..
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 07:37 PM   #5
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Well after posting this, I unhooked the charger and took if for a quick back and forth a few times to see if it shut off. It didn't. Here is a screenshot of current battery status
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220202-193359.jpg (62.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20220202-193345.jpg (54.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-02-2022, 07:40 PM   #6
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car

And in the past when charging it would shut off automatically once fully charged. Today was the first time seeing the red light indicating a low charge on the battery (which obviously is not accurate)
Old 02-02-2022, 09:50 PM   #7
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Beerdude, Lithium batteries are very sensitive to temperature changes. I am in about the same situation you are in. I live in SE TN. The temps get down into the 20's at night. I've noticed that if I try to drive my car and the battery temp is below 10°C the car shuts down. My solution was to get a heating pad and cover the batteries to keep them above 10°C. It wouldn't hurt to also cover them with a thermal blanket. Where are you in NC?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's a small investment to save your large investment.
Old 02-02-2022, 09:53 PM   #8
Tom47
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerdude77 View Post
Well after posting this, I unhooked the charger and took if for a quick back and forth a few times to see if it shut off. It didn't. Here is a screenshot of current battery status
The cell status looks okay at no load. Do you have a dash amp gauge so you can see what the operating amps are peaking at or can the app tell you? You really need to see what it does in a "stress test".
Tom47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2022, 10:48 PM   #9
Beerdude77
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Beerdude, Lithium
batteries are very sensitive to temperature changes. I am in about the same situation you are in. I live in SETN. The temps get down into the 20's at night. I've noticed that if I try to drive my car and the battery temp is below 10°C the car shuts down. My solution was to get a heating pad and cover the batteries to keep them above 10°C. It wouldn't hurt to also cover them with a thermal blanket. Where are you in NC?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...0?ie=UTF8&th=1

It's a small investment to save your large investment.

I'm in the Raleigh area. It has been cold lately, but the cart is garaged, definitely not less that 32*f in there since I have running plumbing in that garage. Could that still be it?
Old 02-02-2022, 11:43 PM   #10
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Could that still be it?
The only way to check for sure is check your temps on the BMS before driving it. If it only cuts out under 10°C them that's your problem. Also, if you have a dash volt meter watch it and make sure it isn't dropping too low.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car