lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2022, 11:36 AM   #11
atl3128
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 04 precedent lithium conversion??

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
You do need the correct charger. And I think the batteries themselves would work fine.

Your bigger challenge, and the challenge most people have with 4x12v lithium batteries is going to be keeping them balanced
I posted a link to the charger I have it's for lifep04 batteries.

I'm gonna try these batteries out for a couple of weeks if they don't stay balanced I'll just send them back. When I wire them up can I use the same wiring and configuration the factory has for the 4 12v lead acid?
atl3128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-03-2022, 11:38 AM   #12
atl3128
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by simicrintz View Post
I will second this advice. It's not worth what you are trying to do when there are real options available to you; you don't need to reinvent the wheel. Lithium is awesome, but also dangerous; please pay attention and follow the advice of those on here that have "been there, done that".

Welcome to the page!
Thanks! Im looking forward to learning a lot...I do however want to try these batteries at least for a couple of weeks since I have plenty of time to return them if need be.
Old 06-03-2022, 11:50 AM   #13
DaveMJ
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
You do need the correct charger. And I think the batteries themselves would work fine.

Your bigger challenge, and the challenge most people have with 4x12v lithium batteries is going to be keeping them balanced. And it doesn’t seem to be an immediate thing, it compounds and the longer you use them the more out of balance they will become and then you’ll have issues. May want to look into a good balancer now before it becomes problematic
Is the balancing issue addressed with a 4 bank charger?

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
DaveMJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:04 PM   #14
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl3128 View Post
I posted a link to the charger I have it's for lifep04 batteries.

I'm gonna try these batteries out for a couple of weeks if they don't stay balanced I'll just send them back. When I wire them up can I use the same wiring and configuration the factory has for the 4 12v lead acid?
I wouldn’t use that charger. It says “normal” and “deep” charging modes. Normal charges at 58.8v which *should* be okay. However the deep charging says 64v. I would make sure there’s a way to limit it to only 58v because if it automatically goes into “deep” mode then you could be in big trouble fast if the BMS doesn’t kick in and save the batteries.

Being those batteries are an off brand I’ve never heard of, and the language written in the description, I’d say there’s a high likelihood that the BMS was probably built in mama woo’s garage by a couple 10 year olds and don’t know how much I’d trust it to do it’s job.

And yes the wiring would be the same series configuration as the stock batteries to make a 48v pack.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 12:06 PM   #15
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMJ View Post
Is the balancing issue addressed with a 4 bank charger?

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
That’s a good question. I really don’t know to be perfectly honest. Maybe pat or VA would have a better answer but I’m not even gonna try cause it would just be a guess.
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 05:16 PM   #16
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Firstly, it will take longer than a few weeks for balancing issues to arise, unless the batteries are already unbalanced to begin with. It will take many months of regular use.

A four bank charger will address the balancing problem as it charges each battery individually. The charge cycle must be allowed to complete though with each battery allowed to fully charge.

Those batteries are LiFePO4, if using a single charger it should not go above 58.4, a 4 bank charger should be no higher than 4 x 14.6v. You must use a charger designed for lithium.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 07:49 PM   #17
atl3128
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Firstly, it will take longer than a few weeks for balancing issues to arise, unless the batteries are already unbalanced to begin with. It will take many months of regular use.

A four bank charger will address the balancing problem as it charges each battery individually. The charge cycle must be allowed to complete though with each battery allowed to fully charge.

Those batteries are LiFePO4, if using a single charger it should not go above 58.4, a 4 bank charger should be no higher than 4 x 14.6v. You must use a charger designed for lithium.
Thanks I'm gonna return the charger and buy a 4 bank charger.. I installed the batteries in my cart today and drove 26 miles so I'm pretty sure I can get 40+ miles out of these. I'm still showing 52.88 volts and each battery is at 13.22 tested individually.
Old 06-03-2022, 07:58 PM   #18
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

26+ miles is good range. Get the proper charger that will keep your four batteries balanced and they will work well for you.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2022, 09:24 PM   #19
atl3128
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt_Ampere View Post
26+ miles is good range. Get the proper charger that will keep your four batteries balanced and they will work well for you.
What 4 bank charge would you recommend?
Old 06-03-2022, 09:57 PM   #20
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I have no info on those. I have two Lithium carts with proper BMS that balances all of my cells (14 of them). My Lithium charger charges the whole pack. Your four batteries are separate units with separate BMS I assume. So you need a charger that will charge each one correctly.
Volt_Ampere is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car