lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-03-2022, 11:30 PM   #21
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 04 precedent lithium conversion??

A quality 4 bank charger will be expensive as it is essentially 4 individual chargers.

The NOCO GENPRO10X4 is one that comes to mind but be aware that even though it states that it's a 40A charger, it's really a 4x10A charger, so it will take over 10 hours to fully charge your 100aH batteries from flat.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2022, 08:58 AM   #22
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

You can get by with a 10 amp charger. Mine is 17 amps and it charges my cart from 25% to full in about 5 hours. A 10 amp charger would probably take 8 hours or so. My backup charger (for my Ebike battery) is only 5 amp.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:22 AM   #23
atl3128
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
A quality 4 bank charger will be expensive as it is essentially 4 individual chargers.

The NOCO GENPRO10X4 is one that comes to mind but be aware that even though it states that it's a 40A charger, it's really a 4x10A charger, so it will take over 10 hours to fully charge your 100aH batteries from flat.

Cheers
Pat.
A friend of mine has a 4 bank charger that he said I could have it isn't specifically for lithium but has an AGM setting he uses on lifep04 batteries...he said it works great. I've ready they work but do you have any input on this ?
atl3128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 12:02 PM   #24
Volt_Ampere
Gone Wild
Yamaha

I would check with the battery manufacturer before I would use any charger that is for AGM batteries! Wrong charger can cause big problems! Lithium and AGM are very different.
Volt_Ampere is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:47 PM   #25
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by atl3128 View Post
A friend of mine has a 4 bank charger that he said I could have it isn't specifically for lithium but has an AGM setting he uses on lifep04 batteries...he said it works great. I've ready they work but do you have any input on this ?
No, it doesn’t “work great”, it is charging but not with the correct algorithm or voltage for lithium. At best you will shorten you battery life, at worst you’re creating a fire hazard, and you really don’t want a lithium fire!

Not only are you not using the correct charging algorithm, you’re also relying on the battery’s BMS to control charge and that’s not its job. It’s job is as a protection device, the charger should sense battery charge state and stop charging. The AGM charger will not do that.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 07:51 PM   #26
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Or you could just skip all the “what if’s” and instead of trying to go on your own and cobble something together that has a potential hazard to burn your house down while you sleep due to cheap BMS, wrong charger, etc. spend a few more bucks and get a setup with the proper charger for a golf cart.

Some things just aren’t worth the risk. You’ll be around $1800 into this venture, give or take, cobbling it together. For the same price you could have a 60aH allied kit with charger. Add a few more bucks for other brands and get the same (or better)100ah you have now depending on what system you go with, you could have a drop in system designed for a golf cart with the correct charger to do it safely. A couple hundred bucks for peace of mind for safety is worth every penny. Truth be told, we really don’t know that your batteries are a true 100aH. Many cheaper versions of batteries don’t exactly perform as advertised. This even applies to the crusty old AA batteries in your kitchen drawer. Not all batteries are created equal.

I had 60aH allied I paid $1800 with charger, and got ~30 miles per charge. I’ve since added a 3rd battery just for cold weather purposes. If I lived where it was warm still I never would have added/needed a 3rd battery but lithium doesn’t exactly play happy in cold weather

Just my .02. It’s your cart, your house, your money. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 10:41 PM   #27
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Here is what you need for a charger. You can use it stand alone or onboard charging. Just have to get a matching Anderson connector for your batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Adjus...s%2C67&sr=8-18
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:06 PM   #28
atl3128
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by CP241 View Post
Or you could just skip all the “what if’s” and instead of trying to go on your own and cobble something together that has a potential hazard to burn your house down while you sleep due to cheap BMS, wrong charger, etc. spend a few more bucks and get a setup with the proper charger for a golf cart.

Some things just aren’t worth the risk. You’ll be around $1800 into this venture, give or take, cobbling it together. For the same price you could have a 60aH allied kit with charger. Add a few more bucks for other brands and get the same (or better)100ah you have now depending on what system you go with, you could have a drop in system designed for a golf cart with the correct charger to do it safely. A couple hundred bucks for peace of mind for safety is worth every penny. Truth be told, we really don’t know that your batteries are a true 100aH. Many cheaper versions of batteries don’t exactly perform as advertised. This even applies to the crusty old AA batteries in your kitchen drawer. Not all batteries are created equal.

I had 60aH allied I paid $1800 with charger, and got ~30 miles per charge. I’ve since added a 3rd battery just for cold weather purposes. If I lived where it was warm still I never would have added/needed a 3rd battery but lithium doesn’t exactly play happy in cold weather

Just my .02. It’s your cart, your house, your money. Best of luck with whatever you decide to do
I appreciate the advice that's why I'm here. I'm not trying cobble something together I'm asking questions on here to find out what works and what doesn't before just trying it. I got the 4 batteries on sale for for under $1350 and have been charging them outside in the cart individually until I figure out what charger is best.
Old 06-04-2022, 11:15 PM   #29
atl3128
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterM6 View Post
Here is what you need for a charger. You can use it stand alone or onboard charging. Just have to get a matching Anderson connector for your batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Battery-Adjus...s%2C67&sr=8-18
Thanks I like this but would a 4 bank charger work better to keep all 4 batteries balanced?
Old 06-04-2022, 11:49 PM   #30
WalterM6
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have no opinions on a 4 bank charger. I would think that since each battery has its own BMS that there wouldn't be any balancing problem. I read the links provided about not being able to balance 12v Lithium but I didn't see any prove in them. Also LiFePo4 batteries will not catch fire. Here is an article about fires and chargers that might interest you. Good luck with your built.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/arti...ch%20on%20fire.
WalterM6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car > Lithium Club Car