lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-26-2022, 10:47 AM   #1
ryanjap33
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default 1988 EzGo Fuel Problems

Just rebuilt my 1988 2pg as the head gasket let loose. New crank seals, gaskets, rings, and piston. The engine starts and runs, but at high RPM it begins to miss and lose rpm. When driving, this leads to no power.

I pulled the fuel hose and fuel is dribbling out, not projecting, therefore, I assumed I had a fuel pump issue.

I installed a new fuel pump, with a new gasket under the insulator. I also replaced the carb with new gaskets under and on top of the reed assembly, new fuel hoses and filters yesterday. None of this helped.

I tried spraying wd40 in the fan and behind my clutch while running and all over the entire intake/carburetor area and the rpm's did not seem to change.

Where should I begin to look now?

Is there a way to test the vacuum pressure on the port for the diaphragm fuel pump?
ryanjap33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-26-2022, 12:05 PM   #2
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1988 EzGo Fuel Problems

Are you still using the oil injection or premixing? Just curious as the first tank should be mixed at 40:1 on a rebuild, What octane fuel are you using?
Dabble Inn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 01:45 PM   #3
ryanjap33
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Oil injection was removed prior to me owning the cart and I premix.

I'm using new ethanol free 90 octane, quicksilver 2 cycle oil mixed at 40:1 for the first 5 gallons. I premix in a gas can, then add to my carts fuel tank.
Old 09-26-2022, 02:22 PM   #4
Leon willis
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Maybe you have a bad fuel pick up in the tank?
Leon willis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2022, 06:19 PM   #5
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanjap33 View Post
Oil injection was removed prior to me owning the cart and I premix.

I'm using new ethanol free 90 octane, quicksilver 2 cycle oil mixed at 40:1 for the first 5 gallons. I premix in a gas can, then add to my carts fuel tank.
Ok great on removing the oil injection and premixing along with your method of mixing first in a can, that's perfect . Use an NGK-BP5HS spark plug, mine runs poorly on the Champion equivalent. But also 90 octane is very much unnecessary and just a big waste of money, it doesn't make it run better or cleaner etc. In fact it can actually do what your symptoms are, these engines require and run best on the lower 85-87 octane. They are relatively on the lower compression side of things, high octane is for high compression engines to keep them from pre-ignition. Not saying 100% that's your issue but just saying it's something to change
Old 09-26-2022, 07:04 PM   #6
ryanjap33
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I only run 90 octane because it's the only octane I can get in non-ethanol around me. Prior to the head gasket failing I ran the 90 octane successfully for atleast 5 years.

I will put a new ngk plug gapped to .025-.030 this week.

I just bypassed the tank siphon by putting the fuel line directly in the tank where the cap goes, it made no change.

I also tore the new carb apart and verified all jets in carb are clean.

I ran it and sprayed brake Kleen in the area of rear crank seal and it did not impact rpm. I tried to get into front seal also and no rpm change.
Old 09-26-2022, 07:07 PM   #7
ryanjap33
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Fuel pump appears to be working. It squirts a stream 3 to 4 inches.

I'm wondering if I put one of my piston rings the wrong way with bevel down.

Would this show up on compression test?
Old 09-27-2022, 11:12 AM   #8
Dabble Inn
Nincompoop Club Member

E-Z-GO

Was it doing this with your old carb? If not, you might give it a try. I've seen a lot of negative reports about the cheap Chinese carbs, although I've had fairly good luck with the 5-6 I've replaced for myself and others.....

I'm not sure the rings can be put in upside down but maybe 'Cart Around' or someone else that knows for sure will chime in to verify that, you did put the window in the piston towards the intake side right? I don't think it would run at any rpm if you didn't but just had to ask.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:20 AM   #9
ryanjap33
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, piston port is towards the intake.

The old carb had this same issue after my rebuild which is why I ended up replacing the fuel pump and the carb.

I am debating pulling the engine out and starting over.

I'm not sure if the pulsar location is off causing the timing to be off or if it is ignition related. I want to hold of doing the HEI mod if I can.

I am going to re-check compression tonight and if it is still at 120 psi like after the rebuild I am probably going to do the HEI mod.
Old 09-28-2022, 11:20 AM   #10
Lochlin
Gone Wild

You seem to have all of your bases covered with your cart. I don't know how it can be anything other than ignition related. Timing on an electronic ignition generally isn't a big deal. It has to be WAY off for it things to go amiss. I don't know EZ Carts a ton but I sure have worked on a lot of other 2 strokes. I have a feeling that your pulsar coil is going bad.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO