lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-31-2009, 09:19 AM   #1
SOCKSTER
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default QUESTION ABOUT YAMAHA G22E RUN TIME and cutting off

This is probably a dumb question, but our 2005 Yamaha G22E has cut off on us twice now, and I am wondering if this is normal and a sign to go charge it up. We didn't know what kind of range to expect from it. We bought it from a very reputable dealer. It has a 6" Jakes lift and 22 inch tires, 4 gauge cables, otherwise stock. Each time we ran about 2 hours total, stopping and starting, uo and down a number of hills on dirt roads, maybe 10 miles total, with the lights on, and when stopped the battery meter was in the lower half of green zone near red, and would dip into red only on hills. Then it just stopped on the hill. The first time it did it unfortunately it was on a steep hill in the dark and my son accidentally ran over the puppy with it, which sucked. Each time I switched the "run tow" switch from run to tow and back to run, then the cart would run again. The controller is not hot at all, so it does not seem like thermal shutdown. It never does it on a full charge. It has new February 2009 batteries (stamped on the negative terminals), 48 volt. I want to know if this is ok or should I take it back to the dealer for a fix

Thanks in advance! We love our cart!!
SOCKSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-31-2009, 11:13 AM   #2
roady89
nimda
Club Car

Default Re: QUESTION ABOUT YAMAHA G22E RUN TIME and cutting off

That means the batteries are too low. The controller will shut off if the voltage drops to low. All your doing when you reset the run/tow is giving the batteries enough time to recover from a low voltage state. You could possibly have 1 bad battery. I would test them all to be sure.
roady89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 01:28 PM   #3
VC-Racing
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Mine did the same thing. I found out one of my cables is bad / corroded.

I cleaned the cable and it's like a new cart. I was surprised to see that a corroded cable could cause that much trouble.
VC-Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by roady89 View Post
That means the batteries are too low. The controller will shut off if the voltage drops to low. All your doing when you reset the run/tow is giving the batteries enough time to recover from a low voltage state. You could possibly have 1 bad battery. I would test them all to be sure.
I agree. Have the batteries load tested. What kind/brand batteries are they?
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 08:43 PM   #5
SOCKSTER
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

they are Trojan 875's. I will look and see if they hooked the lights up to one of them or used a voltage converter- it happened only after running with the lights which must use a lot of juice. Also we didn't know what to expect in terms of run time- it has already run way longer than our EZGO series cart would last per charge
SOCKSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Check the date on batteries and see if they are originals. Might be time for new ones.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2009, 12:11 PM   #7
Dryseals
Not Yet Wild

Sounds more like a connection or cable. I have an infrared temperature detector I use just for cables and connections, it's amazing what you can see.
Dryseals is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha