lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-21-2012, 04:14 AM   #11
Gonkulor
Astronautilator

E-Z-GO

Default Re: performance parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloe View Post
I deeply regret posting this if it has been done before. But, I have looked and tried a search. I am looking for something definative that lists and explains what the various performance parts, for the electric carts, are. I have been able to decipher several of them but not all. Especially when abbreviations are used. Is there somewhere I can go for a "tour" of the numerous performance and replacement parts? Somewhere that says X is/does this and XX would be a suitable performance upgrade?

Thanks
Hey Chloe excuse me asking this if you have already given it. Offer up your make/model S/N of your cart so we all can help you understand what you have. There are a few different avenue paths for upgrades and some avenues can and can't be traveled based on what type of cart you have. I would start that way like arcitech suggested and get to know what you have first.

Shon
Gonkulor is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-21-2012, 08:27 AM   #12
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Gonkulor: I have a 98 TXT. But that's not my point. What I'm asking for is a list of parts with an brief note about what they do/what purpose they fill in the chian of motion on an electric cart. All my experiece, as I'm sure with most of you, has been with gas engines. I understand them and the function of most parts. That's not the case with electric.
For example: Series drive is: xxxxxxxxxx
PDS is: xxxxxxxxxxx
The Controller: xxx does what xxxx

I'm not asking any one person to do it. Maybe a sticky that everyone can contribute to. Then again, maybe I'm part of the minority and most everyone already understands all of this. I just find it difficult to follow some of the builds when I don't know what the part be discussed is or what its function is.
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 10:37 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I'll take a shot at it in general terms...

The battery pack holds consumable & replenishable amperage. This is the fuel for the cart. Use the biggest and healthiest batteries available. The batteries are wired in series. The series connections add the voltage of one battery to the next. Six 6v batteries wired in series = 36v.

The Speed controller limits the amount of amperage the motor can draw at any given time. Without a controller the motor would draw 100% of the battery pack amperage. Controllers are sized by their limits, 400 or 600 amps max.
There are series and sepex (shunt) controllers to match the 2 basic types of drive systems.

The cable system is the conduit for the amperage to flow through. It must be sized according to how much amperage you want to flow. It must be in good clean condition. Any restriction will result in heat which will decrease delivery and produce losses through heat.

The F&R switch on a series cart is a rotary switch which needs to be upgraded when the system is asked to handle higher amperage.
Sepex carts switch F&R within the controller.

That should help
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 11:03 AM   #14
chloe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

That does help Scottyb. For the record, I'm not totally ignorant of electricity but have more experience with AC than DC and really have little idea what anything more than a switch does.

Thanks
chloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO