lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-07-2012, 10:24 AM   #1
Sticks&strings
Not Yet Wild

Default Battery acid question.

I went to O'reillys to buy a battery charger for many uses and asked the guy about charging golf cart batteries. I have a cart charger, but I mean charging them independently out of the cart. He asked if I planned on using distiller water. I said yes, and he asked why not use battery acid. Said he carries it only cause a local golf course buys it from him regularly. So, I have batteries that were bought new, used less than 20 charges, and then allowed to sit for about 5 years. I don't want to spend the money to replace right now, so will filling with battery acid and charging be a decent option until I spring for new ones
Sticks&strings is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2012, 01:53 PM   #2
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery acid question.

Unless the electrolyte has spilled out, adding acid probably won't do any good. After sitting unused for that long, about all you can do is charge them up and hope for the best. I think I'd follow the new battery break-in procedure and see what happens.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012, 04:11 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Battery acid question.

Batteries left in a state of deep discharge for 5 years, heck 2 years, are not going to come back and give much service at all... you can try the acid but the plates in the batteries are damaged. They won't hold or release the basic elements that make a battery work.
Keep your investment in these batteries to a minimum. I hope this helps.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO