lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2014, 11:13 AM   #1
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Default The latest 2008 Workhorse Build / Ressurection

After briefly going down the 13hp Kawasaki road (and really, REALLY hating almost every minute of it) I decided to drag out a project cart I have been sitting on for a "Rainy Day", it's a 2008 MPT1200 that I picked up from a local Driving Range with a bad rod ... It was sitting in their storage barn covered in dirt, etc and I just pulled it home and stuck it in the back of the big barn so when I decided to pull it out and give it a go WOW was it dusty

After deciding to not use the Curtis Cab after all (which is a drag because the new-style cab is VERY clean, might just end up keeping it if it doesn't sell by the time I'm ready to blow paint, we'll see) I took the cowl off and carted her out for a little pressure-washing and steam ...

I was pleasantly surprised - after removing the years of storage dirt, dust, mud, etc I can't find a single rust spot on the frame worth even looking at, there is a little surface rust on the front axle but that's going in the bin anyhow ... Here's a before and a couple of after pics of the guts:

Like I said, I was more than pleasantly surprised at how clean this thing really is ... As of this posting, I have ordered a 375 Performance Engine from CT Rebuilds, 8:1 gears, lift kit and Rims and Tires, and a few odds and ends to get her up and running, hopefully by next weekend. I already have a nice Zemco Stainless Header as well as a whole mess of jets to play with, being as the engine is bored yet more or less stock I'm hoping to focus more on the low-end, performance wise (pulling and accel) so that in conjunction with the 8:1 gears, she'll still run out well, just with a bit more top end.

I haven't decided on the body yet, there is a good dent in the side of the metal on this one, and I *do* have a new set of Workhorse body panels somewhere in the garage or barn (I know they're there, they're just hiding really well, LOL) - If I DO replace the body and paint it, I'm leaning towards this color:

The other option is a buddy who just changed jobs through the union and now has access to a full Sheetmetal Fab Shop - he figures he could do all 3 body panels in high-polish Aluminum Diamond Plate as well as the rockers and a shock-guard for around $200, give or take - if I go that route then I'll likely just blow the cowl in black and go with black seats (really not sure how this'll pan out as of today) ... Depends a lot how the drivetrain turns out. If it's a puller, then I'll probably just paint it and use it for yardwork and whatnot around the Estate, if it runs out nice at decent speeds and handles well then it'll likely get a little more "Bling" and TLC and end up as a "Going to Town" cart (there's a closed access road adjacent to the Property that coincidentally runs into town and goes directly past or behind 3 of the 4 bars there - needless to say, the carts "Go to Town" quite a bit) ...

I'll be posting progress as I go, it's definitely going to classify as a "Budget Build" but should evolve nicely ....
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2014, 11:18 AM   #2
tjequip
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: The latest 2008 Workhorse Build / Ressurection

cleaned up real nice
tjequip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Thanks, like I said I was pleasantly surprised - I've bought a couple of carts with blown motors, etc over the years and they always seem to have a protective layer of funk and filth protecting them, LOL - even though it'll prob end up being a 75% frame-off restoration/build, it's nice to know I don't HAVE to completely strip this one and start over from scratch !!!
Old 08-23-2014, 09:15 PM   #4
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

Brew, thats a great little starting point. a few years ago, I bought 4 Club Car Carry All 2's at an Air Force salvage auction.... I kept one for a year before selling it and ended up trading another for the gas Marathon cart I have now. Sad part is... I "gave" away 2 of the carts for a lack of storage space.... if I knew then what I know now, I's still have 3 of them stashed away someplace.

Nice though, I cant wait to see this one come together....

By the way, Google Tangerine scream, its a Ford color similar to what your thinking. HOK also has a tangerine color I've sprayed and it looks pretty much the same...
91kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2014, 09:48 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I'm somewhat stuck with using the PPG Delfleet colors (this is actually the AUE equivalent color from TCP Global in the pic) as I have a friend who works for PPG and can get me what I need for basically free in the Delfleet, plus I've had great luck with the product as far as durability - I'll take a peek at the colors tonight when I get a chance though, thanks - although to be honest, polished Diamondplate is looking better and better as an option as evidently there are plenty of scraps in the bin for recycling right now that far exceed the dimensions I need (according to my buddy) - the whole body "redo" in polished .125 looks at this point like it may cost me a case of beer, slightly more if he does the rockers and whatever else I can think up (I'd like to have the entire center rear valance done in DP too - heck it'd be a Chrome cart with black trim at that point, LOL) ...

We'll see how it goes, I finished pulling the body, etc and re-steamed everything today, triple checked all the harness, got it up on a lift to check the underside - she's good to go !!!!

The header has been sitting and could use a polish, LOL - I still have to cut it and spin the flange to fit the MCI engine, but that's why I love welding in the mornings with a hangover, LOL
Old 08-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #6
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

nice, my CC DS is covered in Delfleet. I love shooting Delfleet as it is very forgiving and covers great. Keep the pix coming, I love to see progress.
91kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 09:28 AM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 91kuhndog View Post
nice, my CC DS is covered in Delfleet. I love shooting Delfleet as it is very forgiving and covers great. Keep the pix coming, I love to see progress.
Delfleet is a great paint, I agree - My Blue Workhorse had just gotten a new job with Synergy Blue Metallic only 5 days before it was rolled, the factory paint on the seat upright and the brushguard was scratched right down to the metal but the Delfleet buffed right out and survived without a mark - pretty impressive considering without an oven, most paints wouldn't even be cured at 5 days, LOL.

Today is a day of strategizing, I need to confirm or disconfirm the Diamond Plate option, then I need to pull everything together for the engine swap (UPS shows it here in the AM, once again CT Rebuilds comes through like Lightning!) ... My clutch tool is out on loan and so is my big gear puller so I'll probably putz around and fab up a makeshift model to get by - if all goes well I'll have some pics tomorrow night of the swap and hopefully a quick vid of it running. The Rims and Tires come Wednesday, so I'm planning on doing the lift Wed night, prob toss the old body panels back on temporarily and do some tuning and test-driving ...
Old 08-25-2014, 12:00 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

UPDATE: Looks like the Polished Diamond Plate body is a "Go" - gonna cost me a bit more than I had planned as they don't have the correct materials but after some phone calls and research I outsourced the metal panels as "remnants" for a pretty great price ... Now I need to figure out a better color for the cowl to compliment the chrome cart - I'm thinking either Gloss Black or some crazy 70's Silver Metalflake, Hmmm ....
Old 08-25-2014, 02:37 PM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Or a dipped carbon fiber ?? Black or grey.. or ?? I'll send you a pm with a link with some pics. Not sure if it is allowed here..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 08:25 AM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Well, the engine came right on schedule - Everyone's seen a ton of pics of engine swaps so I'll stick with the condensed version, here's the new motor out of the box before swapping out anything:

And here's the old engine, standing on her head outside to make sure she's entirely bled out for her return trip to "Core Heaven"

The swap was pretty straightforward as they generally are, just under an hour for removal, another hour to swap everything over on the motors and clean up the rest of the cart, cradle, etc missed by the steam cleaning and pressure washing, then about 45min to get it in and all hooked up, oiled up, and ready to run

Just a note for those of You contemplating buying a rebuilt motor through the web - any motor I have had shipped assembled from any source generally has been tipped, bounced, sat inverted, etc on its' trip to the shop - even though the rebuilders drain them prior to shipping, there's always a bit of residual oil that works its' way into places it shouldn't, so the initial fire-up almost always results in copious smoking for the first minute or so - don't panic, just idle it for a few minutes until it clears up. AND - if You're smarter than ME, I suggest pushing the cart a little closer to the open doors before You do it, LOL

After rubberbanding and taping the cart together enough for a run-out on pavement, I took her out and was (as always with CT Rebuilds engines) pleasantly surprised, more power than expected, as always - I actually broke the tires loose climbing a moderate hill, now granted I was on grass but as I came into the hill slow I realized I needed a few more R's to get up it, as soon as I hit the pedal the whole cart shifted sideways and I had to feather things out to keep traction - very nice. FedEx should be dropping the Lift Kit and Tires today, so with any luck I should be able to get the suspension done tonight or tomorrow and start to focus on the body, gotta love these budget projects especially when they come together so well !!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO