lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-09-2016, 01:25 AM   #1
Sgt Minuteman
Not Yet Wild

Default 95 Club Car 48v Stopped moving

Hi all!
New to forum but lurked for a while.
I have obtained a Club Car DS 48v and am restoring it. I had a new battery pack installed by a local dealer/repair shop. They had to rewire everything.
Today I tried to back up out of my garage and the cart jumped a little and then stopped. Cart jumps slightly and stops in forward. I reset the OBC and the cart ran in forward and reverse as normal.

I then proceeded to finish priming the body as I thought the issue was fixed.

Went to pull it in the garage for the night and it did the same thing as before.
I did not try resetting the OBC as it was late. Could the OBC be going bad or would it be the solenoid?

All parts are original, the dealership did not need to replace any parts.

All they did was weld a new battery box, install new cables and hold downs, and a pack of US Batteries and repack the front bearings.

The only thing is, the cart was outside for an indeterminate amount of time. It was salvaged by me from a friend who wanted it out of her yard. It was kept under an open car port in the dirt driveway with no wheels.

On a side note, the dealer had no chargers for sale (out of stock) so I purchased a DPI 48v Charger. I got it 2 days ago and when I plug it in and hook it up to ac power cord to turn on, the volt meter does not move and the charger makes no noise, it's like it is dead. I tested all my batteries (even though they are brand new) and have 8.34 v to 8.36v to each battery with cable disconnected. I have another DPI charger being sent to me as a replacement. I am thinking if the second charger does not work it may be the OBC. Dealer said the cart charged fine when they had it.

Thanks for all your help!
Sgt Minuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-09-2016, 06:39 AM   #2
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 95 Club Car 48v Stopped moving

Check your DPI charger model number. They make two models for the DS one with a OBC, one for no OBC.
usgicollector is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 08:55 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Not running and not charging could be the same problem if the OBC is bad ( real bad ) or it may be 2 problems. The solenoid is suppose to click each time you press the gas. See if you can hear it when the cart runs. Now see if it clicks when the cart does not run.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2016, 04:23 PM   #4
Sgt Minuteman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
Check your DPI charger model number. They make two models for the DS one with a OBC, one for no OBC.
This is the one I bought.

ClubCar Powerdrive/IQ Golf Cart-48 Volt 15 Amp DPI Battery Charger-3 pin round
DPI 48V 15 A Power Supply Charger - For use with OBC

Specifications:

48Vdc, 15Adc Output

120 VAC 60Hz Input

9ft length input and output cords

Output Connector Type: Club Car 3-Pin Round Connector

Designed/Made in USA (92% min. USA material sourced content)

UL/CSA Listed

No Spark Charging, Reverse Battery Protection

20 Amp DC Panel Meter

Patented Selector (Mode) allows user to charger most every lead-acid battery type

Mode selections:
Mode 1 - Flooded US Batteries
Mode 2 - Flooded Trojan Batteries
Mode 3 - Flooded Exide Batteries
Mode 4 - Crown/AGM Batteries

Three Year Limited warranty through the manufacturer:

The seller is shipping me a new one and paid for return of the one i have, just in case i have a bad charger. If the second one does not work, I will take the charger to my local dealer and have them plug it in to confirm that it works. If it does work, I may buy a new or used OBC from them as they have about 50 carts from the Austin Golf Club they salvaged...
Old 02-09-2016, 05:07 PM   #5
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

This model is for an OBC. If you don't have an OBC or yours isn't working this charger won't work.

To eliminate the OBC completely you need DPI charger 1-48co17e20-00. A lot of people go this way once the OBC goes bad.
Old 02-10-2016, 09:44 AM   #6
Sgt Minuteman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by usgicollector View Post
This model is for an OBC. If you don't have an OBC or yours isn't working this charger won't work.

To eliminate the OBC completely you need DPI charger 1-48co17e20-00. A lot of people go this way once the OBC goes bad.
So even if I bypass the OBC my charger won't work?
Old 02-10-2016, 09:48 AM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The OBC is an on board computer which controls the charger. The charger used with the OBC has no control board. A charger used with out the OBC needs to have a control board. These chargers are classified 'smart' or stand alone chargers. Your's is a dumb charger for lack of a better term. I hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:12 AM   #8
usgicollector
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

No it won't work...you need the 1-48co17e20-00 model...
Old 02-10-2016, 01:39 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt Minuteman View Post
So even if I bypass the OBC my charger won't work?

As mentioned above, in order for the charging system to work properly, the model charger You bought would require a functioning OBC.

That may not be Your problem if the charger relay is not even clicking (no sound from the charger).

In order for the charger relay to click, You only need two things:
1) Positive wire from the pack positive to the charger receptacle.
2) Sense wire working and providing the negative side of the relay.

Make sure the shop connected Your wires back together the correct way.

Set your meter to 200vDC.

Measure the voltage from the Pack negative battery post to the positive socket of the Charger Receptacle.

You should get Pack Voltage, if not, make sure the positive wire from the charger receptacle is connected to the pack positive battery post.

If the first test is good, measure the voltage on the Charger Receptacle from the "Sense" wire socket to the "Positive" wire socket.

You should get about 5v less than pack voltage, if You get 0v, make sure the fuse on the sense wire fuse holder is good.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 11:37 PM   #10
Sgt Minuteman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
As mentioned above, in order for the charging system to work properly, the model charger You bought would require a functioning OBC.

That may not be Your problem if the charger relay is not even clicking (no sound from the charger).

In order for the charger relay to click, You only need two things:
1) Positive wire from the pack positive to the charger receptacle.
2) Sense wire working and providing the negative side of the relay.

Make sure the shop connected Your wires back together the correct way.

Set your meter to 200vDC.

Measure the voltage from the Pack negative battery post to the positive socket of the Charger Receptacle.

You should get Pack Voltage, if not, make sure the positive wire from the charger receptacle is connected to the pack positive battery post.

If the first test is good, measure the voltage on the Charger Receptacle from the "Sense" wire socket to the "Positive" wire socket.

You should get about 5v less than pack voltage, if You get 0v, make sure the fuse on the sense wire fuse holder is good.
OK will do. I did notice a fuse like object on top of the Charger receptical but will have to look closer to see if it is blown it has a little clear plastic cover to look through and see its condition, but it is dirty and I need toclean it up a little.

Tags
bypass obc 48v
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car