lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #21
Sgt Minuteman
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 95 Club Car 48v Stopped moving

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sergio View Post
I missed the comments between the pictures...

What is the gray sense wire spliced into? You need to follow that wire.

It's connected to this red twist cap that also has a larger grey wire with what looks like a fusable link and then to a gray conduit that goes all the way to the OBC.

There are two wires red and yellow that come off the conduit and go to the Solenoid(?).

Then the gray conduit continues on to the OBC, has two more wires that go to another box.

After checking the DPI charger AC plug for continuity with the charger DC plug inserted into the cart charging recepticle as you said, something tripped the OBC as I had to do a reset again to get the cart to run again.
Sgt Minuteman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2016, 12:32 PM   #22
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

It appears the OBC is bad.

Once the OBC senses the charger relay, it locks out the cart by removing the negative from the main solenoid (yellow wire).

The transistor and circuit that activates the charger relay in the OBC is bad.

If You can still trade that DPI "power supply" for an DPI "accusense" charger, that would be the best solution and You just need to remove the OBC.

If that is not possible, You will need a new OBC to work with the DPI charger You have.

To temporarily keep Your batteries charged:
Remove that "Red" twist cap and separate the wires.
Tape the gray wire going to the OBC.
Run a 16ga wire from the gray sense wire coming from charger Receptacle directly to pack negative.
When You plug the charger into the cart, the charger will come on immediately and it will keep running until You unplug it.

Use a voltmeter connected to the pack and disconnect the charger once the pack voltage gets to 60v.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:03 PM   #23
Sgt Minuteman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
It appears the OBC is bad.

Once the OBC senses the charger relay, it locks out the cart by removing the negative from the main solenoid (yellow wire).

The transistor and circuit that activates the charger relay in the OBC is bad.

If You can still trade that DPI "power supply" for an DPI "accusense" charger, that would be the best solution and You just need to remove the OBC.

If that is not possible, You will need a new OBC to work with the DPI charger You have.

Run a 16ga wire from the gray sense wire coming from charger Receptacle directly to pack negative.
When You plug the charger into the cart, the charger will come on immediately and it will keep running until You unplug it.

Use a voltmeter connected to the pack and disconnect the charger once the pack voltage gets to 60v.
Thanks Sergio for all your help.
Unfortunately my local shop has no OBCs. They said I can bring the DPI charger in and they can hook it up and test it on another DS cart, but they suspect the OBC is bad since it charged for them...

I can only find OBC on Ebay but they are $200+.

I think bypassing the OBC would be best solution. How do I go about bypassing the OBC? My cart is a Series cart, so from what i read in the Sticky I simply need to remove the small gauge yellow wire on Solenoid as seen in the picture below and connect it to the negative of the Pack?

The seller I got the charger from said they can send me the other DPI charger for non-OBC/bypassed CC carts.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:15 PM   #24
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
The seller I got the charger from said they can send me the other DPI charger for non OBC carts.
That is great

Go ahead and remove the OBC from the cart now:
Run the Yellow wire directly from Solenoid small post to controller B- (or other negative source like pack negative)

Run the negative 10ga wire from the back of the charger receptacle directly to B- or pack negative.
You can use the procedure I posted to keep Your batteries charged while You wait on the new charger.

You can leave the gray wire from receptacle to pack negative in place even after You get the new charger as the "accusense" charger ignores it.
Old 02-16-2016, 01:49 PM   #25
Sgt Minuteman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

Go ahead and remove the OBC from the cart now:
Run the Yellow wire directly from Solenoid small post to controller B- (or other negative source like pack negative)

Run the negative 10ga wire from the back of the charger receptacle directly to B- or pack negative.
You can use the procedure I posted to keep Your batteries charged while You wait on the new charger.

You can leave the gray wire from receptacle to pack negative in place even after You get the new charger as the "accusense" charger ignores it.
So I would run the small yellow wire from the Solenoid and attach to Negative of the Pack like this?

And I am assuming this wire (circled in green) is the Negative receptacle wire that I must disconnect and run to the same place as the small yellow wire, to (Pack negative)?

Old 02-16-2016, 02:16 PM   #26
Sgt Minuteman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:

OK I did as you said and plugged in the charger. It is making a small quiet humming sound. the pack read 49.8v. How long does it take on average to charge via this method? If I voltage check every 30 minutes until I get to 59v is that OK? Also All I have are probes on my cheap volt meter and I touch them to Pack + and Pack - terminals occasionally to check. Is that proper?
Old 02-16-2016, 02:27 PM   #27
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Your wiring descriptions are correct.

Make sure the existing yellow wire from OBC to Solenoid is disconnected.

The only wire (yellow or whatever color you have) that goes from solenoid small post to pack negative should be the new wire You installed.

You can go ahead and unplug the OBC as well as it will no longer be used.

Checking the charge every 30 minutes should be fine, the voltage will not go up that fast and even if it gets to 66v is OK, although I would recommend disconnecting it around 60v.
Old 02-16-2016, 02:37 PM   #28
Sgt Minuteman
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Make sure the existing yellow wire from OBC to Solenoid is disconnected.

The only wire (yellow or whatever color you have) that goes from solenoid small post to pack negative should be the new wire You installed.

You can go ahead and unplug the OBC as well as it will no longer be used.
Oh OK. So yellow 10g wire would be okay to use from Solenoid small terminal to - pack?

I think the OBC is wired to the controller via spade connectors, correct? Would it be ok to simply leave the OBC connected as is but just detach yellow from Solenoid?
Old 02-16-2016, 02:53 PM   #29
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

The yellow wire only needs to be 16ga, it just carries the solenoid coil current, which is less than 1 amp.

You should disconnect the OBC 3-pin connector to make sure the OBC does not present a load to the system.
Old 02-16-2016, 03:03 PM   #30
Sgt Minuteman
Not Yet Wild

OK thank you so much Sergio for your help! The eBay seller, Carpartners LLC, is sending me a DPI charger to work with bypassed OBC tomorrow. So I should have it by Monday. The lady, Cheryl, is good to deal with if you or anyone here reading this needs cart parts. They have excellent customer service and I just wanted to pass that on if that is OK. I believe in supporting people who give me great service. Sergio, do you own a cart business too? If so, may I ask for your business name in case I need parts as well? You have been a huge help to me and very patient and kind. Thank you so much for your knowledge and expertise!

Tags
bypass obc 48v
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car