lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2016, 11:29 AM   #11
scooterman
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Motor/controller upgrade recommendations

I guess we're off topic here but I see two sides, experience will show up over time scotty, if the new users stick around a while, just hope it isn't costly for them. When I was a new user I had to do my due diligence and also have patients, which doesn't happen all the time.
scooterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2016, 11:48 AM   #12
MyCousinVinnie
Gone Wild
Club Car

Back to the original topic --

What are you using your cart for? On-road or off-road? Mud, sand, hills? Loads?
MyCousinVinnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:06 PM   #13
Stripes136
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks guys – I decided to stick with the Plum Quick Bandit motor and upgrade the controller to the XCT500 tuned down to 400a. My primary use is driving around our golf cart community but occasionally I like to get a little Squirrley and hit some trails.

Thanks Scotty for your help and recommendations.
Stripes136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:11 PM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes136 View Post
Thanks guys – I decided to stick with the Plum Quick Bandit motor and upgrade the controller to the XCT500 tuned down to 400a. My primary use is driving around our golf cart community but occasionally I like to get a little Squirrley and hit some trails.

Thanks Scotty for your help and recommendations.
I'm glad I could help. The XCT control you chose will give all the power and zip you will ever need on the course with the stock motor now. The 500 amp model (programmed & deturned by me) for stock motor now and easily turned up and remapped for any aftermarket motor later was a good choice.

Please post the results here.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:12 PM   #15
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Sure looks like someone is..
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
What?
My response was to the original comment before it was edited..

Back to the original topic. Stripes, yes an after market controller will really wake up your cart and there is tons of information here to help you along the way. The newest latest and greatest is the Alltrax XCT line. As you have a Precedent I am not sure if your setup is a direct plug and play without some wiring modifications. Other members here know this much better than I do as well as the sponsors selling them.
kgsc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:22 PM   #16
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
My response was to the original comment before it was edited..

Back to the original topic. Stripes, yes an after market controller will really wake up your cart and there is tons of information here to help you along the way. The newest latest and greatest is the Alltrax XCT line. As you have a Precedent I am not sure if your setup is a direct plug and play without some wiring modifications. Other members here know this much better than I do as well as the sponsors selling them.
Here, next time you can know

Install thread Club Car Precedent IQ XCT by Scottyb > http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...ntrols-iq.html
Old 02-16-2016, 12:29 PM   #17
CC04Rider
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I just finished installing an XCT400 Controller in my 2004 Precedent. I would guess that yours would be similar to mine. One thing that I had to do was make longer cables because I was replacing a stock Curtis 250A controller. The connections for that one were on the top but the XCT connections were on the side and further down. My cables didn't quite reach. Don't know what you're replacing but with a PQ motor I'm guessing your controller isn't stock. Maybe you won't have an issue.
CC04Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:38 PM   #18
Stripes136
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
I'm glad I could help. The XCT control you chose will give all the power and zip you will ever need on the course with the stock motor now. The 500 amp model (programmed & deturned by me) for stock motor now and easily turned up and remapped for any aftermarket motor later was a good choice.

Please post the results here.
I definitely will post my results after I install it, Scotty – thanks again for the advice.
Stripes136 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:12 PM   #19
cmar143
Gone Wild

Curtis 1268 is one of the most advanced controllers in the DC industry. The amount of motor mapping, throttle, braking and many others are endless...well actually about 60+ tune settings. You can run two different speed/torque modes at the flip of a switch. I am not putting down any other manufacturers controllers but I have not seen one that can be mapped so specifically to get the perfect field settings with any motor so you are maximizing the electrical field in the motor. The downside is that you need a curtis programmer or have it programmed to your specific motor when you purchase it. But that is just a small kink in having a motor/controller that is tuned so well that you get the maximum torque and speed without wasting it through heat like I have seen with other controllers on the market. There is a company called Bohlinger that sells the Curtis 1268 and will also print you out a program log to match the motors field limitation curve along with throttle and regen based on the make, model, tire size, etc which makes it very easy.
cmar143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I put the original test controller in a precedent with 4/12v and the OEM cables did reach, but one 10g wire needed extending, see the install thread.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car