lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-24-2011, 02:28 PM   #1
uncletom
Not Yet Wild

Default Western identification

I have owned a used 36 volt western for about 10 years.I moved to AZ. from Washington.I would like to license for road but am having trouble with proving ownership and transfer as it came with me from Washington state where there were no titles issued for golf carts and it's been so long i am unable to locate the original bill of sale.
No sign of where their might have been an id plate anywhere on the body but the stamped id # under the passenger seat on the frame Which is (300 41895) Any one know how to identify with this as to the model and year? Maybe i can apply for a new title so it can be licensed in the state of AZ.
Im sure it was built on EZ Go frame and has forward facing motor. It has been a great rig and am 4 years on second set of battery's.
Thinking of replacing with 8 volt batts. and new charger when time to replace
No electronic controler but has the wiper speed control. Maybe it's not possible but could use more speed as I drive to any of 8 courses in my area. Thanks for any info. Tom
uncletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-24-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Default Re: Western identification

Based on the number it's a model 300 made in 1998.
Titles are only issued at the time of manufacture and rarely, if ever, after the fact.
Titles are not issued for golf carts only NEV's or LSV's get titles because of registrations needed for street use.
Although they look the same, they were made in 2 different types, 1 of them was the street legal version. If it has a 17 digit VIN number pop riveted to the dash it can be registered, if not, it can't.
I don't recall any of the street legal versions ever being produced with a 36v system, they were all either 42v or 48v.
Some state, county and city/village laws are different so you will have to check locally and maybe they will let you register it.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

No, no way.

You have an mid 1980s Western built on a Ezgo Marathon frame. What they are asking for is a Certificate of Origination. Which you may or may not be able to get from the manufacture.
Tell Wa. it is 30 yrs old the Manufacture is no longer making golf carts and you want to register it as an antique
P.S. Never put 48volts in this cart it will not last. Good Luck
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 05:19 PM   #4
dougmcp
Gone Wild

ScottyB is probably correct if your cart has resistors.
The 6th number in the serial is the year so it could be a 1988.
Good catch Scotty!
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 09:59 PM   #5
uncletom
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys for the quick response.
It's not Washington that cares, It's AZ that needs the info. Washington has sent me a letter stating that the issued some titles in the past but quit doing it in altogether 2003 . This info is help full as to the vintage of it. I also have a 1999 G16 Yamaha in Washington that was never issued a title for.I have owned 4 carts and none have ever had a title. I brought the western to AZ because everything here is relatively flat and there are more carts than cars in my area and 13 mph isn't going to cut it. A slow cart here goes 20mph and some in the high 20s. They are most all gas however. I really don't want to switch to gas as this is a sweet cart and someone else would have to deal with the title thing. Ill figure out a way to up the mph even if it takes out the motor and have to replace it. My battery's will probably still last another coupe years so no hurry.
Thanks again!
uncletom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 10:50 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You need to convert from resistor coils to solid state speed control.... and then increase voltage..... all western carts did so in the early 90s really IMHO, I see more western carts than most people ... I'm just 60 miles from the factory and half way between Palm Springs and San Diego you could say we are in the year round golf cart capitol. Trade up to and newer lighter cart with modern speed control. You will be glad you did ...
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:50 PM   #7
Hoglaw
Not Yet Wild

New here, so sorry if i rehash anything. I was given a western for free and dropped new batteries in and put on new tires today. No vin, but the number on the bar under seat is 30041622. My 'guess' is this thing is from the 80's, but not sure

Any way to be certain?

Also, it decides to go when i put in forward or reverse, without pressing the pedal. It matters not what i do with the key (i thought the switch was bad, but popped the wires off the back and still would go)

Finally pulled the seat back off and disconnected the power, but i thought i heard a faint clicking.

surely this isnt normal, and if not, what do i need to fix now?

Thank you in advance.
Hoglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts