lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Hoglaw
Not Yet Wild

Angry Western golf cart project/questions

Working on a western cart and was hoping someone could answer a couple of questions.

How do i find out how old this bad boy is? I found a number under the seat on a support bar, but can find no way to search.

Second, as soon as the cart is engaged to forward or reverse, it takes off, though not at 'full speed'. The pedal is fully up and not depressed at all.

The 'key' also seems to serve no purpose (i removed the wires from the switch and that did nothing either), so that the only way to stop it is to push the parking break. I removed the seat and there was a faint clicking sound.

surely this is not normal.

any info on these carts in general or those questions in particular would be greatly appreciated.
Hoglaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-21-2011, 11:28 PM   #2
Hoglaw
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Western golf cart project/questions

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

pics of the cart and of the innards.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #3
dougmcp
Gone Wild

It's a mid to late 80's cart, built on an Ezgo Marathon chassis. What is the serial number on the frame rear pass side rear wheel arch?
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 02:23 PM   #4
Hoglaw
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
It's a mid to late 80's cart, built on an Ezgo Marathon chassis. What is the serial number on the frame rear pass side rear wheel arch?
Thank you for the information. The number is 30041622. After reading as many threads as i could, i think 'part' of the problem with the immediate movement when engaging F/R is the solenoid. It has one that is 'above' the engine, and one further towards the front.

I guess the one further forward would engage the 'overdrive' that this cart came with. It all appears to be stock.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
dougmcp
Gone Wild

It's a 1986 model 300. Western blew up a lot of motors with the overdrive/powerboost option on these carts, the best advice is don't use it.
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #6
Hoglaw
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmcp View Post
It's a 1986 model 300. Western blew up a lot of motors with the overdrive/powerboost option on these carts, the best advice is don't use it.
am i correct that the one closest to the shift lever is the solenoid that controls the overdrive and the one directly above the motor is the 'main' one?

I replaced the 'main' one today, and that did not fix it. Disconnected the wires from the overdrive switch, at the switch and that did not fix it.

if i am correct in the 'furthest forward' solenoid, how do i go around it?

does any of that make sense?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts