lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-15-2012, 06:19 PM   #1
curtislt1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default FNR cable heating -need advice 2000 CC DS 48V

I've been having trouble with smelling something hot in the battery compartment or motor area. I suspected the motor as it has recently developed a whine at speed and I can hear a bit of bearing noise. I figured it's time to pull the motor and install new bearings. The problem is, it smelled more like a loose cable or melting batt post type of smell. It's been getting worse and particularily under load or sustained high speed. Today it was very bad and I finally located a hot cable (BTW, recent new batteries and cables as well as OBC). It is the orange cable that connects to the back of the FNR Lever and terminates at the motor. It's hot at the Lever connection and only mildly warm where it bolts to the motor. This is an early 2000 model, not the 2000.5 Thanks in advance for your assistance, Curt.
curtislt1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-15-2012, 07:40 PM   #2
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Default Re: FNR cable heating -need advice 2000 CC DS 48V

it could be something starting to go on the F&R cable is tight correct? can you try putting another cable on to see if it still gets hot? .........................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #3
curtislt1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I don't have another cable, but this one is tight and visibly checks okay. Do the F&R switches typically go bad and show this symptom? thanks
Old 02-16-2012, 12:03 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes the contacts in the F&R can pit or simply corrode and diminish with age and use. Replace it with a HD switch for trouble free operation.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012, 12:05 PM   #5
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

not all the time but yes it can go bad like that......is the switch also getting hot? you can swap it with another cable just be careful doing so.......i,m wanting to see if its a cable problem or switch and if you try swapping it with another cable and it dosn,t get hot we know its that cable but if it still gets hot we know its the switch...............you mentioned new cables what kind? and size....sometimes cables are bad inside under the insulation and resistence causes heat but new cables that shouldn,t be an issue i just want to make certain as it could be a defective cable..................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
curtislt1
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I finally swapped out the switch; it seems to have fixed my problem. I no longer get the smell of hot electronics. The orange cable still gets mildly warm for the first few inches from switch, but I'm assuming there is a certain amount of natural resistance in the cable. Thanks all for your kind assistance.
Old 03-31-2012, 06:49 PM   #7
Tnhunter
Not Yet Wild

This is probably the same issue I am having !! Thanks for posting. I just got off mine from a 3/4-1 mile ride and started smelling the "burning" or "hot" smell and around the FnR handle the cart body is very hot, cables were so hot I could not touch them, I do have one that needs a new spade but I think I will go ahead and replace the cable and FnR switch.
Tnhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car