lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-18-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Default Looking for some creative input...

I installed an electric trunk release from a '90's camaro on my cart to release a trunk lid that gives access to a built in cooler made from an old PVC shop sink. I wired a momentary button switch in a hidden location and wired it to the brake lights, which have a 30 second timer so that the accessory battery won't wear down when the parking brake is engaged. This also gives me some piece of mind that nobody can access the trunk unless they release the parking brake, re engage it, and pop the trunk via the hidden switch. The problem is, when the voltage on the accessory battery gets low (say 11.7 volts), the trunk popper no longer works. This begs the question- how can I temporarily increase the voltage just enough for emergency access to the trunk? I thought about bringing a battery booster, but that is bulky and heavy and will have to constantly be charged to work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Furyous is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: Looking for some creative input...

You didn't say what the cart uses for power but if it is gas or electric you should be able to run a type of jumper cable from an on board battery to boost it enough to open the trunk..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:53 PM   #3
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Sent from my iPad using it is an electric cart with a separate 12v accessory battery. Since I already have an onboard battery, an additional one would be even heavier and bulkier than a rechargeable battery booster. The problem is that on long runs with the headlights and stereo I usually get well below the minimum input voltage for the trunk release. I also have a 2.5 farad capacitor wired into the accessory system to even things out and provide stable current to the amplifier.

Anybody ever use one of those boosters that plug into the cigarette lighter? That might be an option.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I was talking about just running a mini set of jumper cables from a couple of batteries on your main pack long enough to open the lid. Solar panel would also be an option.
Old 02-18-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
Furyous
Flat Out Hooked on Carts

Mixed Breed

Oh, gotcha. Not a bad idea.

I have plans to install a solar panel at some point, but right now I was worried my cold beer would be trapped. Jumper cables are a great option.

I looked into something called the porta jump too. It is rechargeable, holds its charge for a year or two, and looks to be about the size of a couple of packs of cigs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
Old 02-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #6
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Trapped cold beer is definitely a bad thing. Beer theft a problem there ??

As handy electrically as you sound you could also wire up a fused link setup between the batteries that had a relay you could activate with a momentary switch. Never have to open the seat
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts