lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts
Electric golf carts Harley Davidson, Melex, Pargo, Taylor-Dunn and other Misc. Carts.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-23-2013, 10:23 AM   #1
the_freshmaker5
Not Yet Wild

Question What Amperage Converter do i need to run Radio

I have a (6) 8v batteries = 48v golf cart. I would like to buy a 48v to 12v converter kit. I see that they sell lots of similar types but the Amperage is different on them. Some are 10A, some are 25A on up. I only want to run the radio on this, nothing else. I plan to attach a switch to the converter so i can give power to the radio as i please. I also considered buying a second converter set up with a switch for the constant to save the memory on the clock and preset radio channels. I know this is supposed to be hot all the time to keep the memory but my reasoning behind the switch is so that if i store my cart through the winter i can turn it off so the clock isnt drawing juice. Really my main concern first is finding out the correct amperage for the converters to run the radio and if they both need to be the same amps. thanks
the_freshmaker5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-23-2013, 10:28 AM   #2
the_freshmaker5
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: What Amperage Converter do i need to run Radio

This is the one i was considering just for the radio. Its cheap so im skeptical. 10amp
http://www.ebay.com/itm/170893454988...84.m1423.l2649
Old 07-23-2013, 10:34 AM   #3
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

if you are only using the radio, and not hooking up an amp and a powered sub, but just a regualal radio, 10 amps would be fine.

I suggested the toggle switch for teh clock/memory in your other thread, which would be fine.
Sir Nuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 10:39 AM   #4
the_freshmaker5
Not Yet Wild

oh duh... I could use the same converter for both the radio and the constant i would just switch one off and on and leave one on all the time (i would still add switch for both like you said). i was going to buy two converters haha. Do you think that one i posted a link on would be ok or should i buy something more expensive/quality? Also i didnt see this in "my threads" and i thought it was because i didnt check the box to get instant emails so i posted again. How do i delete the other one so i dont get in trouble? Im not sure why i dont see either in "my threads"
Old 07-23-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_freshmaker5 View Post
oh duh... I could use the same converter for both the radio and the constant i would just switch one off and on and leave one on all the time (i would still add switch for both like you said). i was going to buy two converters haha. Do you think that one i posted a link on would be ok or should i buy something more expensive/quality? Also i didnt see this in "my threads" and i thought it was because i didnt check the box to get instant emails so i posted again. How do i delete the other one so i dont get in trouble? Im not sure why i dont see either in "my threads"
don't worry about the extra one....I sent a note to one if the mods to delete the extra one.

as far as the one you linked to....I don't know. Personally, my cart didn't orginally have lights but a light kit was installed aftermarket, and the guy I bought it from was running everything off the batteries, not good, so as part of my rebuild/refurb, I installed a 30 amp converter to run all my accessories, like the lights, radio, and horn. I also bought a small fuse box to seperate out each load, so they each have their own fuse.

Old 07-23-2013, 11:04 AM   #6
the_freshmaker5
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. My cart came stock from the factory (ruff and ruff brand cart, see my album for pic) with a 48 to 12v converter to run the stock lights, cig lighter, blinker and tail lights. I tried tying into that but ive had issues and just want the radio to have its own convertor for both the power of the radio and the constant. From what you are saying, it sounds like a 10a will do both but i just read something about a radio drawing 50amps?? these elec carts are great but a real pain when wiring things.
Old 07-23-2013, 11:10 AM   #7
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Your radio has an inline fuse. That fuse has a rating on it. Your convertor needs to have a higher output rating than the radio's inline fuse rating.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2013, 11:13 AM   #8
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_freshmaker5 View Post
Thanks. My cart came stock from the factory (ruff and ruff brand cart, see my album for pic) with a 48 to 12v converter to run the stock lights, cig lighter, blinker and tail lights. I tried tying into that but ive had issues and just want the radio to have its own convertor for both the power of the radio and the constant. From what you are saying, it sounds like a 10a will do both but i just read something about a radio drawing 50amps?? these elec carts are great but a real pain when wiring things.
I read your other big thread.....and know what you are attempting.

do you know, off the top of your head, what make and model radio you have?
Old 07-23-2013, 12:03 PM   #9
the_freshmaker5
Not Yet Wild

Even though i have read radios can pull 50a, Gornoman has an excellent point with the fuse in the back of the radio. I would think that it would determine that the radio would never pull more then 15a. I do know that fuse is to protect the radio from the speakers though, not necessarily from the battey power. I need a new radio now that i smoked this one but it was 15a. The smallest converters i found were 10a which now i learned wont work and 25a. the cheapest one i could find is, http://www.ebay.com/itm/350830376504...84.m1438.l2649
Old 07-28-2013, 10:40 PM   #10
the_freshmaker5
Not Yet Wild

Ok, so i got my new bluetooth stereo in and my 48v to 12v converter to run it. Everything is hooked up and working. Due to the issues i had hooking up the 1st radio (that got smoked) to the stock 12v converter ive decided to run the new converter by a switch rather than tie into ignition or any existing stock wiring. This works good and i can have the radio on even if the cart isnt. What im wondering though is do i need to turn the converter off when im charging the cart? Im currently leaving it on to keep the clock and the preset stations but id rather shut it off when i charge then ruin more stuff. According to the instructions these are only supposed to take a draw on the battery when something is drawing from it such as the radio. I do have a red switch that lights up to let me know the converter is on. Whats your take on this as far as leaving it on while charging?

Tags
amp radio converter
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts