lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2017, 12:54 AM   #1
folepi2
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 Carryall Start motor runs with key on.

I've replaced two bad micro switches and replaced the solenoid. Checked all the wiring according to the schematics I found here. Everything looks proper but as soon as I turn the key on the solenoid engages and the starter turns on. I don't get spark until I push the accelerator.
I'm not sure where to go next. Since the blue wire from the key switch goes directly to the S terminal on the solenoid, I can see why it energizes immediately. I had to add a ground wire to the base of the solenoid to get it to work at all.
Is it possible there is a different solenoid that is set up differently for control purposes? This one appeared to be a direct replacement from O'Reilly's.
folepi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2017, 01:20 AM   #2
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

Default Re: 1999 Carryall Start motor runs with key on.

You said you added a ground to the new one. This is just a thought and may be way off but maybe the original setup interrupted the ground on the original to control it? Now that you have added a ground that is the reason it constantly runs with the key on?
Alex Faught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 01:21 AM   #3
Alex Faught
Gone Wild

Cushman

A voltage test of the original small lead would verify this. If no voltage is present with the key on, next would be a continuity to ground test with the key on.
Alex Faught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 02:19 AM   #4
folepi2
Not Yet Wild

I had considered the possibility of a switched ground for controlling the solenoid but there is nothing in the schematics that show such a thing. In fact it doesn't show a ground for the solenoid at all.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:11 PM   #5
Jimmie
Gone Wild
Club Car

The solenoid gets a ground thru the peddle limit switch and the shift lever being in forward or reverse. That is if someone has not added or removed wires to the circuit. An OEM solenoid does not need an added ground wire to the case. Go to one of the forum sponsors and get a solenoid made for a gas club car (continuous duty), an automotive solenoid will burn up.
Jimmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2017, 12:55 PM   #6
folepi2
Not Yet Wild

Ok, that makes sense and we were just discussing that possibility. Thank you very much for your help.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car