lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2018, 02:36 PM   #1
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Default Broken seat frame, any options?

So the rebuild project I purchased hit a snag as I took off the rear body to clean the engine and everything up. I found that the frame for the seat had numerous breaks on it. I am attaching pictures for you to see. Is there an options to fix this? If it’s possible to have it welded, will I still be able to put the rear seat on also?

Thank you!
Jamslights is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2018, 04:49 PM   #2
Gazoo
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Broken seat frame, any options?

Unlike steel welds which are as strong as the parent material, aluminum welds tend to end up much weaker. I'd talk to someone experienced with welding aluminum to see how they think it would hold up. I'm sure those are common break points so hopefully someone else who's dealt with these will chime in. Maybe you can fab a new seat frame from steel and bolt it on?
Gazoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2018, 11:39 PM   #3
unknwn
Getting Wild

There's no reason that properly done TIG welding repairs wouldn't hold up, but all of these breaks in your photos will require lap bolsters to be added after the butt welds have been performed. There are also a bunch of unnecessary holes that were drilled into the flat stock that will need to be filled/fixed or they will just become stress risers and new points of breakage.
Another thing to take into consideration is that proper repairs to aluminum like what you are going to require are ABSOLUTELY going to need major dismantling of the cart for the prep/cleaning and positioning for horizontal attack - flipping and rolling of the frame will have to be possible to get quality welds performed.
I have over 20 years experience performing aluminum REPAIR s using my Miller TIG equipment, and there is no short-cuts or half measures possible to do these sort of welding jobs right.
You need someone who is experienced & GOOD at their craft, and it certainly won't come cheap.
And that is only if it is delivered dismantled and all the welder has to do is clean/prep/jig and weld.
DON'T let anyone con you into thinking that this can be done with a MIG/wire feed welding unit. IT WILL NOT hold up.
unknwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 01:24 AM   #4
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

The seat backs on those are also an integral part of the roof, sweater basket etc.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 05:57 PM   #5
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by unknwn View Post
There's no reason that properly done TIG welding repairs wouldn't hold up, but all of these breaks in your photos will require lap bolsters to be added after the butt welds have been performed. There are also a bunch of unnecessary holes that were drilled into the flat stock that will need to be filled/fixed or they will just become stress risers and new points of breakage.
Another thing to take into consideration is that proper repairs to aluminum like what you are going to require are ABSOLUTELY going to need major dismantling of the cart for the prep/cleaning and positioning for horizontal attack - flipping and rolling of the frame will have to be possible to get quality welds performed.
I have over 20 years experience performing aluminum REPAIR s using my Miller TIG equipment, and there is no short-cuts or half measures possible to do these sort of welding jobs right.
You need someone who is experienced & GOOD at their craft, and it certainly won't come cheap.
And that is only if it is delivered dismantled and all the welder has to do is clean/prep/jig and weld.
DON'T let anyone con you into thinking that this can be done with a MIG/wire feed welding unit. IT WILL NOT hold up.
When you say it won’t come cheap, what kind of realistic cost would you say to fix the 4 breaks? I know there are many factors, but a rough thought on price?

Thank you!
Old 03-25-2018, 07:15 AM   #6
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

This is not an uncommon problem with the club car, can't tell you how many times I've seen it on my friends carts, my cart!!!!
If you do any kind of playing at all, I took my carts to the welder as a rolling chassis, and the fact that everything was out of the way it was not that expensive, I paid 75 dollars, but I even broke an engine cradle as well....
I'm not going to lie and say that these have held every since I've had them welded, not true I've had to have my breaks rewilded a few times... .. but I am very very abusive on my cart....
Take the time and go have the frame fixed, you won't be sorry....
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:30 AM   #7
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProjectClubCar View Post
This is not an uncommon problem with the club car, can't tell you how many times I've seen it on my friends carts, my cart!!!!
If you do any kind of playing at all, I took my carts to the welder as a rolling chassis, and the fact that everything was out of the way it was not that expensive, I paid 75 dollars, but I even broke an engine cradle as well....
I'm not going to lie and say that these have held every since I've had them welded, not true I've had to have my breaks rewilded a few times... .. but I am very very abusive on my cart....
Take the time and go have the frame fixed, you won't be sorry....
This makes me feel a ton better!!! Thank you for the post!!!! I found 3 welders here that weld aluminum, and it ranges from $100-$200 if I bring the cart to them, and between $200-$300 if they come to me. So I’m glad to hear it’s possible to do and not terribly expensive. Thanks again!!!’
Old 05-01-2018, 12:11 PM   #8
nsimmy
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I used a Hobart Handler 190 MIG Welder w/ spoolgun to hack mine together. so far so good.
nsimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:00 PM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

A proper aluminum weld is as strong as steel. I have an aluminum lug welded to an aluminum plat that is bolted to the top of my truck bed. I winch my 1,000-lb cart on and off all the time. So far, it's held up for 9 years.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 01:29 PM   #10
Jamslights
Not Yet Wild

Talking Re: Broken seat frame, any options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
A proper aluminum weld is as strong as steel. I have an aluminum lug welded to an aluminum plat that is bolted to the top of my truck bed. I winch my 1,000-lb cart on and off all the time. So far, it's held up for 9 years.
This brings a smile to my face , thank you!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car