lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-09-2011, 06:44 AM   #11
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Need work, are they ripping us off?

If you don't want to pay then get a service manual and do your own work.
Simple as that...........
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #12
worqhors
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Actually, those are very simple jobs. You better start doing it yourself if you want to consider working on carts as a hobby.
worqhors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:40 AM   #13
emurf49
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

thanks all, i am going to call a couple of other shops and get a competitive quote. Yes, we are under no obligation to pay them a boatload when we can just bring the cart home and do the work ourself with a manual!
emurf49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #14
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by emurf49 View Post
My 94 ezgo was running rich and now it won't start. Took it to a local cart repair and asked them to look it over since the steering was sloppy too. Are these labor times realistic?!?

-replace belt, timing & 2 spark plugs: 2.5 hrs labor (and parts) $290 (really?!)
-steering needed spindle pin bolt & brushing spindle: 1.5 hrs labor, $184
-brake shoe kit, drum /hub assembly: 2 hrs labor and parts $380

So basically saying its 6 hrs to do all this work at $85/hr. - $510 for labor?

I just don't want to get ripped off...any thoughts?
I vote with the do it yourself crowd. Looking at your list of symptoms I would say that replacing the belt and the brake shoe kit and hubs will not cure the running rich issue. In addition there is no timing to adjust on your cart (unless this is a typo and you meant tuning). All in all it sounds like you are being taken advantage of. I would advise you to get a tune up kit comprising of a new air filter (I bet yours is choked), a new fuel filter and two new plugs. Replacing these is easy and all the dealer is going to do. Once your cart is running look at the brakes (did you have concerns)? The only way the dealer would know if you needed new hubs would be if he removed them for inspection, so they should be easy to remove and you can then see how much "meat" is left on the shoes. If you have concerns on the function of the brakes it might be as simple as an adjustment.

A simple test of your drive belt is just to measure the width. You should be close to 1 3/16 ths inch. If you are at, say, 1 1/18th it is time to replace it. Again this is a job you can do yourself.

As a slight rebuttal of my own argument, if you can't or don't want to do the work then you have to remember that the mechanic needs to make a profit off of you to feed his family and the hierarchy of his company will also be wanting their cut of his skills.

Good Luck

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:09 PM   #15
emurf49
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys- the competitive quote came back at $440, 2 1/4 hrs is labor...waiting on the second competitive quote but looks like I am gonna tell this guy to stuff it...
Old 11-09-2011, 06:14 PM   #16
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Box View Post
I vote with the do it yourself crowd..............
blah blah......deleted balance for brevity purposes.

As a slight rebuttal of my own argument, if you can't or don't want to do the work then you have to remember that the mechanic needs to make a profit off of you to feed his family and the hierarchy of his company will also be wanting their cut of his skills.

Good Luck

Dave
Well said Dave!
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #17
dougmcp
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by emurf49 View Post
Thanks guys- the competitive quote came back at $440, 2 1/4 hrs is labor...waiting on the second competitive quote but looks like I am gonna tell this guy to stuff it...
Now that's more like it!
dougmcp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:25 PM   #18
1lane66
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Those sound like the rates they charge here in Memphis. That's why I'm still trying to figure my problem out on my own and do my own repairs. Even I don't get that kind of money for doing work on hot rods around here or doing uphosltery work. I'm not charging enough,,, need to re-evaluate my own rates!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ha.
1lane66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 06:28 PM   #19
emurf49
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ya so parts is $210 from buggies...an extra $200 to keep my sanity is fine...these jerks want to jack me they are messin with the wrong peeps! I have a hot rod cart so they must think I will just peel off a G...not!
Old 11-09-2011, 07:26 PM   #20
emurf49
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes I typo'd it's starter and timing belts...two belts and two plugs they say....the timing belt was slipping or going so it was backfiring then broke she said?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO