lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-22-2011, 05:49 PM   #1
J.White
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 93 TXT 4 Stoke will not run after crossing creek

Hello, new member,

I have a 93 txt 4 stroke (not sure what type and the guy I bout it from said it is a new remanufactured engine). I recently had a 87 mar 2 stroke and traded it for the 93 txt I have now. I got rid of the 87 mar because I started having problems with it’s performance. I took it to a mech and he replaced the carb and checked the compression (100lbs). After running the 8 for 30 minutes it started running strange again. The probem was easy to see as the fuel filter bulb/globe was empty. After replacing the pump and tweaking the carb I gave up and traded it for the 93 txt 4 stroke. I ran it around our property and took it across a low water crossing (7-9 inches). I realized at that moment that the water crossing may have been what was wrong with my old cart and unfortunately this one as well (even though the 93 txt has a 4 in lift). Am I off track in my thinking here? Could the water crossing be affecting the way these carts run. I can pull my 93 txt and the fuel pump pumps fuel to the carb and it will run until it runs out of fuel in the bulb or line. Is the an electrical component or engine component damaged here?
Thanks,
J.White
J.White is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-22-2011, 06:45 PM   #2
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 93 TXT 4 Stoke will not run after crossing creek

If its' a lifted-cart 7-9" isn't an issue at all,unless you aren't running an air-filter.It sounds like your fuel-pump is losing prime.The problem on your old cart sounds like bad crankshaft seals,but on a 4-stroke,its' a different issue.Check your fuel-pump lines for kinks,dry-rot cracks,looseness,etc.Also check the filter itself.If its' cracked or even plugged it will lose prime.Remove the filter and blow thru the inlet-side and see if it's restricted.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 PM   #3
J.White
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok. checked fuel lines and filter housing for cracks= all good

checked for filter restrictions = all good

I just think it's wierd that both carts are exhibiting the exact same symptons. They will run (sometimes only on full choke) for 15 - 20 seconds and then die. I test drove the new cart for at least 20 minutes with no problems and now it is acting like the old one. The only thing I can think of is the water crossing. I drove it across the creek which is about 10 feet across and the cart immediately started acting strange.

question- Can a coil get wet and cause problems?

question - should the fuel filter bulb/globe be complete full of fuel? mine is only fillining up to the bottom of the bulb/globe (and that's being generous)

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

J.White
Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #4
J.White
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

After sleeping on this yet again. I just remembered what else I could have done that would be common both carts. I have attempted to climb a very steep hill a few times and both times both carts powered out (not spinning wheels) and could not climb the hill. Could there be some type of safety switch on the block that would stop the engine if it was placed in a off-nominal situation? Oil case witch or something?

Thanks,
J.White
Old 12-23-2011, 06:05 PM   #5
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Sounds like the carb.needs attention.If it is gummed up,it may be limiting fuel thru the jets(which would explain running choked only)Also,the float may be too low which would limit the fuel in the bowl to too low of a point and cause starvation.Yes,the coil and wire can be affected by water,Soak them with WD-40 or Silicone-Spray.Mine acts up after a lot of water-time,and this quickly cures it.There aren't any safety-switches and the lack of tire-spin is mostly just a lack of power that they all suffer(It is only 8-9hp)Usually the only wheel-spin is in wet-conditions or very loose dirt/mud.Check out the carb,clean it out,add some fuel treatment to the tank(Ethanol attracts a lot of water over time,a splash of dry-gas or Star-Tron will help with that.)Also give it a new spark-plug with the proper gap,and clean the air-filter.Hope this helps.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 09:48 PM   #6
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Wanna get some of that hill power? Hit the shorter belt threads or the 28 degree cam threads... Lots of good info and testamonials there to help you determine whick way you want to go to hopefully fix your pulling probs. Might not hurt to check your valve lash as well. This is a very common ezgo problem and is very easy to check. The filter on my txt only stays bout half full all the time so I wouldn't let that worry me. If its cutting up in or after the water, its picking up water somewhere. Whether it be the carb, the coil or some other device its getting water in it. Hope this helps you.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 05:46 PM   #7
J.White
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just closing the llop pon this and I appreciate all the great help!

the answer was... a weak fuel pump

Thanks All,
J.White

Tags
1993, 4 stroke, creek, water
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO