lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-24-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
OFJ
Not Yet Wild

Cool Help with 78 2pg points

Can anyone out there tell me how to set the points on a early ( 78 ) 2pg engine. What special tools are needed. New guy on the block. Thanks !
OFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2012, 02:05 AM   #2
racin161
Gone Wild

Default Re: Help with 78 2pg points

You will have to remove the flywheel using a steering wheel puller and 2 bolts now that's the trick trying to find the right bolts.I don't know if there the same as the later 80's and up but mine were 6mm I THINK and about 4" long apply pressure on the puller then tap it with a hammer and in the real world it should pop off. You may want to give it a shot of PB BLASTER ahead of time and don't loose the flywheel key. Points should be set at .018 on the high lobe or cam. Let us know K. WELCOME to BGW
racin161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 08:30 AM   #3
OFJ
Not Yet Wild

Cool Re: Help with 78 2pg points

thanks for the reply. the lobe or cam for the points is part of the flywheel what kind of tool is used in place of said lobe?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
racin161
Gone Wild

Is there a service hole in the flywheel ? Sounds like there would have to be if the lobe is on the flywheel. Shout out and ask for a manual I'm sure someone has it you can down load. K. I'm sorry but I have the electronic and really don't know much about the point style system. Maybe DAVE BOX can help stand by.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:01 AM   #5
racin161
Gone Wild

Think I found your answer. Your points and condenser are located with in the starter/generator which is internal so look there and gap at .017 with final gap being .015 after a few hours of running time. Also check the brushes while your in there and replace if needed there should be an indicator mark on the brushes. Looks as though it's only a $40.00 fix total. Hope this helps let us know.

LOU
Old 03-25-2012, 11:16 AM   #6
OFJ
Not Yet Wild

No service hole in the flywheel, does anyone have a manual that would tell me how to get this done, any help on this would be Great !!!!! Thank you 161. Engine is in very good condition and would hate to trash it.
Old 03-25-2012, 12:32 PM   #7
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

Yes I have a 1976 manual somewhere (I am sure that it will be the same as yours). I have some things I need to first and it will take some time to find it and scan the page, but I will be back this afternoon.
In the meantime if anyone else has the manual, jump in, you won't be hurting my feelings.

Dave
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #8
Dave Box
Respect the Cart

E-Z-GO

and we're back. Here are the three pages. It starts with removing the flywheel, but that is for changing the points so start half way down page 1. The inspection plate is on the flywheel and I think that you have to remove the fan blades to see it (but I could be wrong on that).

I have also included the section on adjusting the timing, I hope this works out for you.

Good luck

Dave
Attached Images
File Type: jpg points001.jpg (130.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg points002.jpg (122.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg points003.jpg (113.1 KB, 0 views)
Dave Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 09:05 AM   #9
OFJ
Not Yet Wild

Cool Re: Help with 78 2pg points

Thanks Dave for the info that will be a big help. Got the service cover off, someone had glued it on, now all is well.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO