lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #1
wmkupper
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Post increasing spark on g16

Ok I'm very new at this so with that said... I was given a 2000 yamaha g16 (I think that's what it is) it's been sitting but I've cleaned the fuel tank and carb. It's getting plenty of fuel judgeing by the unburned fuel coming from exhaust compression is 177. I have gotten it to start and even been able to increase the rpm`s for a couple seconds but then it dies out. It starts popping from the carb a little before it fires up also. I pulled the plug and it was VERY wet (gas) blew it off and thought since I have it out I'll check the spark. It looks white and weak and seems to get weaker the longer I hold the pedal down. I've read a lot on here about HEI conversions would that help? Open to all about anything and very open to learning about this thing. I take nothing as an insult when given a learning opportunity

Last edited by wmkupper; 09-15-2013 at 02:00 PM.. Reason: added info
wmkupper is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-15-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: increasing spark on g16

The ignition is pretty good on these carts, I would test with a spark tester before I judged it bad. Popping out of carb could be bad mixture or valve problem. Would check the rockers and valve lash. It may not run right without the airbox on and sealed well and can even foul the plug out in short order that way. Get a new plug an ngk. See what you have after that. Also take a look at wire connections and grounds, the grounds are wired, and clean/check the battery posts/cable connections that is a common yamaha issue. Seems like a nice gift to get carts are hard to come by here.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 10:55 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: increasing spark on g16

Correct spark plug = NGK BPR2ES

So much few leads me to believe that the carburetor float needle has a ring imprinted in it and its not stopping the fuel flow. considering it has been sitting, this is a likely scenario. I replace it with a new one, they are about 15 bucks. get a new spark plug too, that one has been fouled too many times. Smell the oil, if it smells too much like fuel change it, also check the oil to see if it is magically overfilled. Requires exactly 1 quart of oil.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha